02 | love, amira

"those who are scared to love
often hide behind words"

"those who are scared to loveoften hide behind words"

It takes a great deal of courage to let go of someone, who meant the world to you, and even more courage to not let the pain of their absence consume your entire being over the years, even though there could be a million factors that would remind you of that person.

As Amira rushed to the nearby roof of a store, seeking shelter from the sudden downpour that had captured the city, all she could think about was how it took just a single moment and a few people to break the walls of some hidden memories and the composure she had built over all these years.

It was the evening of the school reunion that Anjali had invited her to. Even though she had agreed to be a part of that gathering, her mind was making her overthink the repercussions of her presence, along with a week long debate with her self and with Vihaan as well. Her inner conflict had finally agreed to her presence at the gathering, yet her steps faltered at the entrance of that quaint little house. Part of her hoped that he would be present too, but the other part of her knew that Ahaan would never deliberately be a part of some place that had a high possibility of Amira being there as well.

The latter part of her assumption turned out to be true when her eyes failed to notice the familiar dark brown eyes that once felt like home. Her heart sank knowing that she had held onto expectations and those expectations managed to somehow break her heart again.

On the contrary, she was glad he didn't show up. Because then she wouldn't have to relive the past and more than anything, if there were any chances of them meeting right here at this moment, then she was not ready to have that kind of a conversation with him. Her feelings were in a turmoil but at least now she could enjoy the evening without any hesitation.

Pushing a smile up her face, she entered the house that was lit up with eccentric disco lights and chatter of people.

Most of her school friends, her actual good friends were present too, and she was glad it was not another mean girl party. Lots of people flanked around her, and it felt like she was right back in school, as everyone fell into conversation as if a ten year gap never happened.

Most of her friends feigned hurt, for her not being in touch with them all these years. She felt bad, but they forgave her instantly. That's what good friends do, they always look past your shortcomings.

Soon, a few guys approached her and tried casually flirting with her. These were the same people who were jocks back in school, who assumed Amira was uptight and a nerd and would only approach her for notes, but ignore her otherwise.

Today they all were seeing a change of light, but Amira knew better. She smirked internally, and switched on her sass mode. It was time to have some fun with these desperate men.