Chapter 11

CHAPTER 11

POSTED 9/1/20

"Where sky and water meet
Where the waves grow ever sweet
Doubt not, you Reepicheep
To find all that you seek
There is the Utter East
Doubt not..."

"That's pretty."

"Oh!" Reepicheep jumped, nearly tipping over the edge. He turned around to find that Lucy had climbed up to where he had been relaxing for the past few minutes — on the dragon figure's head at the forefront of the Dawn Treader. "Thank you. A dryad sung it to me when I was just a mouseling. I can't divine the meaning, but I've never forgotten the words."

"What do you think is past the Lone Islands, Reep?" said Lucy.

"Well, I've been told the furthest east one can sail is to the end of the world: Aslan's country," the mouse said with just as much conviction as earlier in the Stern Cabin.

"Do you really believe there's such a place?"

"Well, we have nothing, if not belief."

"Do you think you could actually sail there?"

"Well, there is only one way of finding that out. I can only hope I will one day earn the right to see it," Reepicheep said with a smile.

Down at the main deck, Caspian and Edmund were preparing to compete in a friendly sword fight against one another. Caspian was speaking to Drinian as he prepared his weapon while Edmund was making his way back to Mary. He had just finished talking to some of the crewmen that were also part of the current Narnian army.

"Did you get any advice from them?" asked Mary as he stopped before her.

"Do I need any? I was the best swordsman in the Golden Age," Edmund bragged.

"Was," Mary repeated. "Caspian's the second best now, so you should still be on guard."

"Second?"

"After me, of course."

Edmund chuckled fondly. "Alright, I won't argue with that," he said. "If I win this fight, I'll challenge you to one later on, too."

"Oh, really? Remember that sword fight we had outside Aslan's How when we were preparing to invade Miraz's castle?"

"Hey, that's not —"

"I clearly recall defeating you. You were on the ground by the end of it," Mary reminded him loudly.

"Is that so? I can only remember you being on top of me," he smirked. "That is, before we switched positions."

Mary slapped his arm, her face burning at how he spoke so suggestively.

"Get your mind out of the gutter, Edmund. The point is, I won."

"I was distracted that time, okay?" he insisted.

"Sure," she dragged out the word playfully. "But if it makes you feel any better, then I'll accept your challenge — if you win this one."

And so, Edmund and Caspian began their duel. Naturally, the crew wanted to see how a fight between two of some of the greatest kings of Narnia would unfold. As expected, it started off strongly. A lot of clashing, swinging, jumping, and dodging ensued the moment they started. Their audience whooped and cheered for them, feeling the adrenaline run through their own veins even when they were just watching.

"Come on!" Edmund challenged. Caspian swung his sword at eye level, making Edmund have to lean backwards. He narrowly missed getting sliced by it, causing those watching to cheer even louder. He then turned and swung towards the ground, which Caspian dodged by jumping over it.