Chapter 2

CHAPTER 2

POSTED 5/16/20

The train ride from London to Cambridge took an hour and thirty minutes. Mary was going to be there just for the weekend, so she only brought a small suitcase along with her. Eleanor and James Brown had easily agreed to letting Mary stay with the youngest Pevensies overnight. They weren't too strict nor were they overly lenient, but Mary had been bringing up the idea of it so many times that they finally felt compelled to agree, and she just had to wait for Edmund and Lucy to tell her that their aunt and uncle said yes too. And finally, after that telephone call with Edmund, she was on her way to Cambridge to see her favorite Pevensies (not that she would ever tell Peter and Susan, but they were busy anyway).

Edmund had actually gone back to Finchley about two months prior to visit Mary as well, but Lucy couldn't come due to being assigned to a certain errand that their Aunt Alberta couldn't run. He was only allowed a day trip that time since he had chores to accomplish at the Scrubb's, but they made the most out of it. He arrived early in the morning and grabbed a quick breakfast with Mary just like they used to do before. Then, he came over to her house and they simply spent time catching up with one another. He even stayed for dinner with Mary's parents before leaving to make it in time to catch the last few trains back to Cambridge.

Mary was reading a book that compared Greek and Roman Mythology to kill time on the train. It sent a wave of nostalgia because she had met many of them when she was in Narnia. Eventually, the train rolled into the station and Mary sat up straighter with a start, startled that she had already arrived.

 Eventually, the train rolled into the station and Mary sat up straighter with a start, startled that she had already arrived

She stood up from her seat and picked up her suitcase as the train slowed down. Following the others, she made her way to stand near the door. It finally opened after the vehicle came to a full stop and she walked out. The moment she exited the gates, she craned her head and tiptoed around to look for the two Pevensies.

"Mary!"

"Over here!"

Her heart raced upon hearing those familiar voices. She whipped around, her eyes searching frantically for them until she spotted them waving at her a few meters away. With a big grin, she walked as fast as she could toward them, weaving through the crowd and dodging people. When she reached them, she threw her arms around the two Pevensies.

"We missed you so much!"

"I can't believe you're finally here."

"I've missed you two as well," Mary said ecstatically when they separated. "Lucy, stop growing taller."

The youngest Pevensie girl had already outgrown Mary, standing at a few inches above her head. She giggled and shrugged as if it was not a big deal.

"What about me?" said Edmund. Mary faced him and took note of a few things: although he was still that same, fair-skinned, freckled boy with piercing dark eyes and hair, he somehow looked more mature now. Perhaps it had to do with his hair and the way he styled it differently now. Whatever it was, Mary couldn't deny that he had become even more attractive.