You almost died

Alarms rang in the Polar Tangs control room for the tenth time in four days. Law was ready to rip it out of the wall, tired of the insistent blaring.
Athena had installed a proximity sensor, a little disk like thing following on the surface above them that broadcasted to the sub when a ship or large vessel was within a five mile radius. It hadn't been a problem until recently.
Athena had checked it repeatedly, making sure it was working properly, but hadn't found any glitches. That left dragging the disk in and checking it, which she was getting ready to do as soon as they surfaced.
  If she couldn't find fault with it, she was going to install a couple cameras on it and see if they could find what was setting the blasted thing off.
  Hitting the button to shut the alarm down, he prayed that whatever it was was taken care of soon. His head couldn't take much more of the infernal noise.

   Athena sat the three foot disk down on her computer table, hooking it into her tablet.
  Readings popped up showing no signs of a problem. She growled, switching over to the data it had collected.
  "What's wrong?" Ikkaku asked, rolling her chair over to where Athena sat.
  "Give me a second!" She swiped up looking through the readings.
  Shachi walked into the room, bags under his eyes. Poor man hadn't gotten much sleep with the alarms going off twice last night. "Is their a problem with the stupid thing?"
  "No"
  "Then why the hell dose it keep going off?"
  "Dam it, hold your horses. There is a lot of shit to look through here." Athena snapped.
  Finally she came across what she was looking for ten minutes later.
  "Bingo bitches!" Athena yelled, standing up from her chair, her right index finger morphing into a screw driver.
  Shachi ran forward looking down at the tablet she had thrown to the side of the desk. "What... What is it?"
  "We're being followed." She undid the first screw and then another. "Every time it's taken measurements it's always the same. Whoever it is is staying just out of range. They slipped up a couple times getting a little to close setting this thing off." Popping the top off, she cut out a hole in the middle of it and went about readjusting some of the wires.
  "How's that possible?" Ikkaku leaned over the sensor, watching her work.
  She popped in new ports for the cameras, soldering them down and then connected them to the main power source.
  "Don't know. But I will find out!" Athena growled in displeasure. "This thing shouldn't send out any kind of signal that it's there, so the fact that they know it has a five mile radius is pissing me off." She hooked the cameras in, threading them through the hole in the top piece. Placing the top back on the disk she started screwing it down.
  "Could it be territorial sea slugs?" Ikkaku mused to herself.
  Athena tightened the last screw and reached for the sealant to cover the cracks where the cameras where placed. "What the fuck is that?"
  "Well most only use them for islands and what not, they are basically like this thing." Ikkaku knocked on the sensor. "I've never heard of anyone using them for something like this, but it's a possibility. Their small enough this thing wouldn't pick them up and their range is a lot wider then five miles."
  Athena looked up at her, thinking about what that could mean. "Well if that's the case I'm going to have to do something about this thing picking the little fuckers up, now ain't I."
  "You think you can?"
  "Anything's possible if you set your mind to it." Athena laughed evilly. "Now I just have to get my hands on one."
Shachi shivered at Athena's tone, he'd gotten to know what she was like when that tone hit. It meant she was itching to tear into something. "You know... you scare me sometime."
A smile spread across Athena's face, almost splitting it in two, her teeth gleaming in the bright lights of her room. She looked almost demonic to Shachi and Ikkaku in that moment.
"Why's that?"
He threw his hands in the air, turning for the door. "I'm not answering that question. You'll do something to my food like you did to poor Uni or put flour in the dam shower head. Clione was still trying to wash that crap off three days after that incident."
Athena laughed, a new goal now in sight. If there was territorial sea slugs out there she would find a way to make sure that they didn't go unnoticed in the future.