十六

"Excuse me, but do I know you?"

Akane blinked once. Twice. Both Aoi and Yashiro were just as surprised as him, but they decided not to say anything. Meanwhile, [Name] stared at him, the calm expression on her face never wavering. For the second time that day, Akane felt as if his soul had escaped his body.

 "Come again?" A sweet smile was present on his face. "I think I might have misheard you."

[Name] furrowed her eyebrows at him. "Uh, excuse me, but do I know you? And no, you haven't misheard anything. I really don't know you." She spared the two girls around her a glance. "They seem to know you, though."

 "I—is this some sort of joke?"

Yashiro was the first one to stand up. She quickly waved goodbye to them before leaving the room. Akane didn't pay her any mind, though. He was more focused on the girl in front of him. Aoi, on the other hand, seemed to be having thoughts on whether or not to leave. When Akane sent her a curt nod, she immediately went back to her seat.

 "Are you sure you can't remember me?" once more, he asked.

 "I can't. Is that enough of an answer for you? Class is about to start so I'd like to leave now." [Name] was about to stand up, yet was stopped by Akane blocking her way. "What's your problem?"

The bespectacled boy ruffled his hair. He should've expected this. Considering how her grandfather expressed his intent on killing him, he shouldn't be surprised to see that he's done something to make her forget him. "Aoi Akane. I brought you the letter from Minamoto-kaichou. You even gave me a nickname before knowing my name."

His lousy attempt at making [Name] remember only made her raise an eyebrow at him. "Glasses?"

 "I'm not sure whether to be glad or be annoyed." Akane heaved a sigh. "You really can't remember?"

 "I can't. Are you sure you aren't trying to fool me?" She tilted her head to the side. "Don't people often say that you know them even though you really don't? How am I so sure that what you're saying is true?"

Akane pushed up his glasses to the bridge of his nose. "Because I know your secret." He gestured to her mask, which was enough to make [Name] flinch in surprise. "Is that enough?"

 "How much?" she asked, her eyes on everywhere but him.

 "Huh?"

 "How much do you want? And how do you know this?" She took a step back. "Don't tell me you're some sort of stalker. I could have you arrested, you know." Akane was at a loss for words. He covered his face with his hands while trying to compose himself. The whole amnesia thing was starting to get on his nerves.

 "I'll have you know that I'm this close to smacking you."

A laugh resounded from behind the bespectacled boy. "Well, that wouldn't be so proper, Aoi." President Teru flashed the pair a smile. "Would you mind coming to the student council room with me?"

Akane's annoyance was quickly replaced with fear. Who knew what Teru was planning next? For sure, he must've heard their conversation. He glanced to his side to see that [Name] was equally as nervous as he was, if not more. The two of them begrudgingly followed the prince of the school outside the room—the rest of the class looking at them in awe. Well, being in the same room as the talented [Name] and handsome Teru was a blessing to them.

 "Where exactly are we going, Minamoto-kaichou?"

 "Hmm? Didn't I tell you we were going to the student council room?" Teru continued walking, even though they had already passed the said room. Both [Name] and Akane knew they had no choice but to follow him.

The three of them ended up in the forest behind the school. As soon as Teru unsheathed his sword, the bespectacled boy instinctively took a step back. Even with the smile plastered on the president's face, he could feel the deadly aura radiating from him. Akane gripped the pocket watch hidden in his uniform.

 "You know, I've had enough. Seeing you stick to [Name] like a leech is one thing, but spreading your horrid stench to the entire school is another thing." He slowly walked towards them. "Take off your glasses, Akane." Wait, was he talking about him? He was the one who told him to stick by her—

 "Oh, so I've been found out."

A shiver went up Akane's spine. His trembling hands hesitantly removed the glasses perched on his nose. When he turned to look at [Name], he saw another person. Donned in the uniform of Kamome Gakuen was a woman who looked too old for it, with long [hair color] hair that reached the ground and ruby red eyes that could pierce through your soul. Dark waves radiated from her and like Teru said, her stench was enough to make Akane gag.

 "That's a bit rude to do when you're in front of a woman." [Mother's Name] remarked. "And seeing as you can smell me, you aren't a full-fledged apparition. How interesting."

Teru clicked his tongue. "How about you just get out of your daughter's body? You've caused her enough grief when you were alive. No need to do it after you've died."

[Mother's Name] burst into a fit of laughter, the sound reverberating throughout the field. "Oh my! You have a point there, young man, but it seems that my daughter thought she could escape me." She glanced at Akane. "I wonder just whose fault that was? And now, what do you think is going to happen to her?"

 "I'll kill you before you even get to lay a hand on her," Akane replied, his voice void of warmth.

Amusement flickered in [Mother's Name]'s eyes. She crossed her arms as a smirk appeared on her face. "Big words. I wonder if you'll be able to own up to that if you know that [Name] will die too?"

 "What?"

Teru gritted his teeth. He stabbed his sword in the ground, causing a flash of thunder to nearly hit the apparition. "And you think I'll let you do that? Don't you know the reason why I dragged you all the way here?"

[Mother's Name] suddenly appeared by Akane's side. In her hands was the familiar pocket watch Akane had held a few moments ago. Before the two students could react, she grabbed Akane by the wrist.

 "To let me escape, of course. I'll be taking my daughter's boyfriend with me, okay?"

❀❀❀

[A/N]: OMG. 2.7K reads and 278 voets. I can't believe other people than my readers in Quotev are actually reading this! Thank you so much for the support! Reading all your comments make me so soft! And no, this isn't ending yet! It'll probably end either with 25 or 30 chapters—I'm not sure yet. Please stay safe and healthy, guys! I hope you like the update!

 Please stay safe and healthy, guys! I hope you like the update!

I still can't believe this happened. I feel so happy!