12

Olivia's POV

I woke to the bright March light shining through my window. "Livi!" I heard Lila yell from outside my door. "Breakfast is ready!" I could hear a slight excitement in her voice and her "good" shoes tapping against the wood of the stairs. Getting out of bed I snuck a look at the alarm clock on my bedside table. March 10, 2012. My Birthday.

"It's my birthday." I whispered to myself with a smile. Quickly I got dressed and laced up my shoes before heading downstairs. "Good Morning." I said cheerfully walking into the kitchen. Only no one responded. I whirled around searching the rooms for anyone... but there was no one there. "Hello?" I called out. Did they leave? Where did they go then? The chores aren't due to be done for another couple hours due to me and Lila going riding last night. The kitchen, dining room, and couch were completely empty. No food on the table or countertop. "Guys?"

My voice felt week and I could feel tears rising into my eyes. All of the sudden the stereo started playing and my eyes were covered by two cold hands. "Happy Birthday to you... happy birthday to you..." I heard three voices sing as the owner of the hands lead me forward. I was sat down in the chair and a dim light was set in front of me. The hands removed themselves and I noticed the pile of pancakes with 12 lit candles sitting in front of me. The tears ran down my cheeks as I remembered all the memories of birthdays with my mother and Dennis. I was still staring down at the pancakes when the singing stopped and there came a tap on my shoulder. "Livi?" I heard Cooper's small voice question. "You haven't blown out your candles. Do you need help?"

The silence in the room helped me regain my senses, memories still flooding me. I reached for Cooper and pulled him into the chair with me. "I would love your help Cooper." He got up on his knees and looked to me for a signal. "One... Two... Three." I counted and he took a deep breath to blow out the candles. We all clapped as Laura placed three more plates on pancakes down on the table. I helped Cooper down before he and Lila took their seats and began eating happily. I was just about to take a bite before Laura kissed my cheek, placing a glass of milk down in front of me.

"Happy Birthday." She said before taking her seat. We ate in silence for a few minutes before Laura voice rained through again. "Nat and Clint are finishing up a mission. They will be here later." She explained looking at me with sad eyes.

I frowned and continued eating. "Livi. Emily and Jess wanna know if they can come over for the party." Lila questioned not noticing the glances between her mother and I. I didn't look up as I nodded and finished my plate. I know their not a mission. They would've been briefed earlier. And even if they were, there's no way they'll be back by tonight. Their top agents S.H.I.E.L.D. Fury wouldn't just give them some little mission, especially with him knowing what today means to me.

"Olivia." Laura said when I stood up to wash my dish. "I promise they'll be here in time for the party." All I could do was nod as more thoughts of doubt ran through my mind. "And if they aren't; I will personally feed them to the cows." She said standing and taking everyone else's plate. I smiled and moved out of the way for her to get to the sink.

Cooper dragged me to the couch and sat on the floor together. "Kids help me set everything up before your friends get here." Laura called and tossed a package of balloons and a roll of streamers at us, making both Lila and Cooper burst out laughing.

We blew up balloons, decorated and messed around for what felt like forever. Cracking jokes with one another even when the other kids started showing up. I'd completely forgotten what time it was when Laura kicked us all outside for the some games. Pin the tail, frogger (wink murder), and tag. Childish games that made me feel like I was back in New York with Dennis in in 1940's and 50's.

"Livi!" I heard Cooper yell from the porch of the house. I turned to him and saw the pile of presents laying around him. Freezing in place I couldn't believe what I was seeing; my new life. A life I was okay with living; new people and friends.

"Olivia?" Laura asked stepping off the porch and walking towards me. She knelt down in front of me and grabbed my hands. "I just got off the phone with Clint, they're about 20 minutes out and want us to wait on cake until they get here. Why don't we open some of your presents in the mean time?"

I looked at her and then back up at the pile with Cooper still sitting in the middle, practically buried in the stacks of brightly colored boxes and bags. "They're are a lot of presents." I replied laughing slightly. Laura smiled and lead me over, all the other kids and parents following close behind.

Everyone sat around me, handing me a box, then another box, followed by a bag, and on and on. Candy, clothes, books, and so many other useful and useless items. After a while there were only 2 boxes left. "Here," said one of the mothers handing me the bigger of the two boxes.

"That one's from me!" A little boy around Coopers age shouted from the porch swing. With blond hair and blue eyes he looked like a young Steve Rogers.

"You want to help me open it then?" I asked motioning for him to join me in the middle of the circle. He nodded excitedly and rushed over, almost tripping over the wrapping piled all over the flooring. He plopped down next to me and put his hands on the wrapping, looking at me for approval. "Ready? Go." He ripped off the paper and opened the box.

"Woah! Cool!" He exclaimed pulling a Batman Lego set. He turned to me and stuck the box out with a sad look.

I smiled and pushed it back towards him. "Why don't you and Cooper take it up to my room and start building it." I said looking to Laura who nods happily. Both boys rushed through the house and upstairs.

"Here Olivia." Laura said handing me the last box. "This one is from me." I looked at her and then down at the box.

"Laura. You didn't have to."

"I wanted to." She said placing it in my lap and leaning back into her chair. I looked at my lap and began slowly taking off the paper wondering what she could have gotten me.

After removing the paper and opening the box, I spotted the object sitting inside. A badge. "Its for when you need to come back here." Laura explained. "A flight pass, just show it to an agent and they'll bring you straight here."

For when I need to come back? "When I need to come back? What do you mean where am I going?" What does she mean come back? Is she sending me back to S.H.E.I.L.D.? Why?

Just then there were footsteps on the front porch and the front door opened. Laura stood up and made her way inside to greet the new guests. Everyone around me began to get up and move back into the fields, but I felt stuck. They're sending me away... They don't want me anymore.

"Olivia." I looked up to see a redheaded women standing in the doorway. I didn't say anything as she sat down next to me and took the box from me. "There's someone here who'd like to meet you." She whispered brushing some hair away from my face.

I stared at her for a second before making an attempt to turn away. "No." I muttered. "I'm not going anywhere." She looked confused by both my actions and my words.

"Livi." She reached for my arm before I quickly stood up. I won't let them take me back to be a lab rat. Not Again. "Olivia." Natasha had now stood up and was directly behind me. She reached for me again and grabbed hold of my shoulder before I could move away. "Just come inside for a little while."

"No." I said, feeling agitated as I tried to maneuver to the stairs but couldn't.

"Olivia." She said sternly turning me around to face her.

"I said NO!" I yelled losing control of my temper and my body.

Natasha went flying through the air and smashed through the side railing of the house.