4 | Half-Hearted Dedications

Y/N

_

" BEFORE I END THIS SHOW," I yelled into my mic, "can I get a little bit of silence?"

Squinting my eyes through the blinding stage lights, I could make out my guest's figure from the front row. He was holding a popcorn bag in his left hand, and was recording the whole thing with his phone in the other.

Once the stadium settled down to a low simmer of conversations, I nodded my head at my bandmates behind me. I spoke to them about my plan earlier, and they had no trouble adapting to my requests.

"Yesterday I broke my eardrum," I announced, "pretty bad."

My fans started to scream out in worry, and I was slightly afraid yesterday's mishap would happen again. I waved my hand in reassurance, a smile on my face.

"Thankfully, I met someone who helped me get it stitched up, and I actually invited him here today!" I grinned.

More screams, including a wide-eyes look from the boy in the front row. Finn was clinging onto his phone for dear life, as if he wanted to make sure he was getting this on camera.

"If it wasn't for him, I wouldn't be able to be singing for you today," I said, "so for the last song of the night, I would like to sing Elenore, by The Turtles!"

As Niall began to pluck out the starting notes on his bass, I slid to the center of the stage in excitement. Pointing my finger towards the boy, I winked at him.

"Thank you, Finn Wolfhard! This song is dedicated to you!"

As I began to sing the song he played for me, I listened to the reaction of the audience. Most of them were leaning over themselves to get a look at the boy I pointed to, and others were struggling to find the words to the song. The rest of them just screamed in support.

I'd never dedicated a song to anyone in the history of my shows, so this was definitely new. I just think Finn deserved it. But a simple dedication wasn't enough, that we all knew, so after the show was over, I invited him backstage.

"[y/n]," Jane said, poking her head through my green room door, "someone's here to see you."

Niall, Harry, and Sadie all snapped their heads up at the news, grinning at me in anticipation. I told them Finn was coming, and they were suspiciously ecstatic about it.

Soon enough, I recognized a curly-haired boy nervously stumbled into the room, flowers in his hand.

"Hey," he mumbled, his eyes fluttering around in anxiousness, "am I interrupting something?"

I smiled, "no, come on in."

He nodded sheepishly, walking over to me and handing me the flowers. My bandmates were smirking like little devils the entire time.

"I bought these for you," Finn said, pointing at the roses, "to say thank you."

"You don't have to thank me."

"I do," he assured, "you've been really kind to me, and this whole experience is really cool."

I smiled at him, not moving my eye contact from his. The flowers smelled beautiful, and I was totally in love with them. I didn't realize he was so sweet. I was about to continue staring at him, when I heard Niall clear his throat from across the room.

Snapping out of it, I realized I forgot how to be polite.

"Oh!" I exclaimed, clapping my hands together, "guys, this is Finn from Rinks!"

"We know," Harry said, turning towards the boy, "I'm Harry Styles."

"I'm Sadie," the red-head said.

"And I'm Irish," Niall grinned, "that's all you need to know, Finn."

Okay, maybe bringing him to meet my friends on the first day was a bad idea. I knew how teasing they could get, and Finn was already nervous to be backstage. Before I could cut in, Harry spoke.

"So you're the record guy?" He questioned.

Finn nodded, "yeah, that's me."

"Nice move with the coupon, dude, total respect."

"Thanks."

"She doesn't invite just anyone backstage."

"Oh, Shut up, Harry," I groaned, pointing at the door, "can I speak to Finn alone, please?"

My bandmates all let out disappointed noises, trudging out of the room like sad little children. I didn't want to seem mean, but I knew them. A little too well. Next they'd start calling Finn my boyfriend, then asking him personal questions, and so forth. They were ruthless in a protective way.

I didn't need them to be protective of me when I was with Finn.

"I'm sorry about that," I sighed, "they can get crazy sometimes."

Finn nodded in understanding, "it's okay."

"Do you want to sit?"

"Can I?"

"Yes, Finn," I laughed, "you can."

As he plopped down onto the couch across from me, I pulled out my guitar and began to pluck through the strings. Don't get me wrong, I was nervous as hell around Finn. I owed a lot to him.

And he was insanely cute.

Playing the guitar made me less anxious. As I began to pick a simple melody off the top of my head, I noticed Finn's ears prick up.

"So this is where the magic happens?" He said softly.

I looked up from my instrument, stopping my song, "what do you mean?"

"I never thought I'd be in a room with you, listen to you write songs."

I blushed, looking at the ground, "it's just a simple tune I came up with."

"Could be your next grammy-award winning hit."

"Ah," I laughed again, "I doubt it."

The room fell back into silence, neither of us sure what to say. It wasn't the weird kind of silence, but the sad realization kind. Maybe it was because we had so much to say, didn't know how to say it, and didn't have enough time.

I wanted to ask him for his number, but holy crap that was intimidating.

"So when are you leaving?" He asked, breaking the silence.

Never, hopefully. Woooooaaaahhhh, did I just think that? I bit my lip, prying away at my brain. Why did I care so much? I had so many more tour stops to hit before my show was over, and I couldn't believe I almost wanted to give it all up just to stay in a city I didn't live in.

"Tomorrow night," I answered, setting down my guitar.

"Oh."

"Don't miss me too much, Wolfhard."

"Who said I was going to miss you?" he grinned, displaying a cheeky smiled.

"Oh, shut it," I shot back playfully.

The room fell into a brief silence again, and I expected it to continue, but Finn surprisingly spoke up again. He didn't break eye contact with me.

"If you're ever in Vancouver again," he said, "you're always more than welcome to stay with me."

Woah.

I'm usually too busy to overthink, but this had my head spiraling. What did he mean? That he maybe, possibly, was interested in me? Or was he just being nice and offering his house?

Whatever it was, I knew I had to accept it. It just felt right.

"Yeah," I smiled, "I'll keep that in mind."