The Beatles - Why They Were Successful

This essay will give a brief biography of the Beatles; beginning with a bit of background surrounding the different members that were a part of the group. The rest of the essay will then be divided and explain different aspects of their career and phenomena that surrounded it. Firstly, there will be a brief explanation as to how the band was initially formed and how it changed into the band it is known as today. Following the formation of the band, there will be a paragraph dedicated to their rise to fame and what led to the bands' big break (the things leading up to what catapulted them into the spotlight). Next, the term Beatlemania, as well as the events that happened, that was the reason for that term being coined, will be explained. The band's achievements will also be discussed. Following suit, will be controversies -as well as scandals- that the band was involved in; which is partly the reason for the band getting even more publicity. The disbandment of the members will then be discussed and then afterwards, the legacy they left behind; explaining what made them so successful (and that it was multiple reasons that made them appealing and that it was not just one factor that came into play; that their success is owed to every little thing that was on show in their career, whether it was good or bad). Lastly, there will be a conclusion, to sum up why the Beatles, or what made it possible for them to be as successful as they were as well as become a household name for many; influencing many other people to follow their path and become musicians.

Background of each member

John Lennon

John Lennon, or John Winston Lennon, was born on the ninth of October in 1940, in Liverpool England. Lennon grew up mainly under the care of his aunt Mimi Stanley Smith. From a young age, Lennon enjoyed the music. The genres he was interested in were that of American Rock as well as blues music. Artists that he listened to were Elvis Presley and Little Richard, or 'Richard Wayne Penniman'. His interest in music led to teaching himself the guitar. He accomplished this by listening to a song he enjoyed over and over until he was able to play the correct chords. This drove Lennon into wanting to start a band, and when he attended the Quarry Bank School, he was successful in doing so at the age of sixteen. The band was called, The Quarrymen. This band that he formed played at a few community events that were held in Liverpool at the time and because of that, he was introduced to Paul McCartney (who is a well-known member of the Beatles). He became friends with McCartney soon after.

Paul McCartney

Paul McCartney, or as he was named at birth, James Paul McCartney, was born on the eighteenth of June in 1942, in Liverpool. His parents were Mary McCartney and James McCartney. His mother had worked as a maternity nurse, while his father was a cotton salesman as well as a jazz pianist that played for a local band within Liverpool. Similar to John Lennon, his mother died when he was still at a very early age in his life. This tragedy was one of the reasons for John Lennon and Paul McCartney's connection that the two seemed to gain after their meeting. Before they did, however, Paul McCartney's love for music came to him earlier than that. His father was a great encouragement to him to learn many instruments such as the Spanish guitar, trumpet and piano. He was trained formally, but McCartney preferred, much like his bandmate John Lennon, to train himself by ear.

Ringo Starr

Richard Starkey, better known as Ringo Starr (which became his stage name), was born on the seventh of July in 1940. Before being known as Ringo Starr, he was often referred to as 'Ritchie' as a teenager. He, much like his later band members, was also born in Liverpool. His parents, who were Elsie née Gleave and Richard Starkey Senior, divorced when Starr was only three years of age. This already become an important feat in his life as his mother remarried someone by the name of Harry Graves. Graves played a great roll in Starr's life as he was the one to encourage Starr's love and drive for music . Ringo Starr, as a teenager, became the co-founder of the Eddie Miles Band, which changed into Eddie Clayton and then changed into the Clayton Squares. By 1959, he had joined the Raving Texans which he played as the drummer for a singer by the name of Rory Storm. While playing for these bands was when he got the stage name, or nickname, of Ringo Starr; Ringo because of the many rings he would wear and Starr because when he played his solos, it would be called 'Starr Time'.