Desmond Tutu - A Short Biography

The political leader that will be discussed is that of Desmond Tutu. This essay will unpack his brief history, the period in which he was influential within Southern Africa and how he brought about or influenced apartheid era legal, political and social systems during the 1980s. Following these, there will be an analysis of his styles and quality of leadership, alongside his role in shaping apartheid era history, and lastly, his legacy post-1994 South Africa.

Desmond Tutu, or Desmond Mpilo Tutu, was born – in Klerksdorp - on the 7th of October 1931, in South Africa. His parents – who were named Aletha and Zachariah Tutu -were Xhosa and Tswana. Zachariah Tutu had an important position within his community; it was that of a schoolteacher, while Aletha was a washerwoman who worked for whites that lived close by. Desmond Tutu also had two sisters; one older and one younger than himself. It was when his older sister got into an Anglican High School, that the Tutu family converted from the Methodist church, to an Anglican church. There was no conflict in them doing so as it was common that the Anglican faiths drew in the black South African tribes people. This shift in beliefs is one that would later have a big impact on Tutu's life.

Tutu was a good student and the 20 months he spent in hospital, getting treatment for tuberculosis, drove him to work harder. In high school, he was in the top 1% of all black South Africans, proving he had done excellently; though there is reason to believe that it was not a true representation of the population as many black South Africans had not gotten a proper education.

Due to his illness, Tutu was encouraged to become a doctor; being inspired by the fact that he would help and assist those who are sick and unable. There was a shortage in South Africa, and his community was especially in dire need of a doctor. In order to do this, he would have needed proper education as well as the money in order to do so. He sought out scholarships and any other means of financial assistance in order to achieve this dream of his. Alas, he fell short; not finding anyone who could be of help to him financially. Later, at the age of 19 years old, Desmond Tutu had another dream. This dream was to follow his father and become a schoolteacher. He then attended school in Pretoria, named the Bantu Normal School. This was the only tertiary institution at the time that educated black teachers. Tutu, along with a few other people of colour, were a minority at the school; where the majority were white and Afrikaners. The lessons were often made less of when presented, or taught, to the black students as they were believed to be less intelligent and that they would be unable to cope with the work. Another discrimination made against the black students was the fact that they had to live in huts rather than a proper residence, since the whites and Afrikaners thought that the black students should live like their ancestors. Although this was the case, Desmond Tutu continued to have high spirits, him as well as his other fellow students of colour.

On the 1st April 1953, the implementation the infamous Bantu Education Act was introduced by the apartheid government. Desmond Tutu, along with his father, were of those teachers that were under the government, and not long after, they began to feel the effects that the apartheid doctrine brought into the educational system. The teachers were forced to implement the separatist dispensation, and those who did not comply, would be considered as untrustworthy and would automatically bypass for a promotion. At the end of the year 1953, both Desmond Tutu and his father wanted no longer to be a part of it. This was all in all, South Africa's darker years as the apartheid government had to counter protest that were initiated by the blacks in response to the Bantu Education Act, that began in 1952 and dragged on for three years. The government retaliated by not allowing any child to go back to getting an education if they did not return to their schools by the 25th of April 1955. The African National Congress, or the ANC, called a 'Congress of The People' in order to draw up a Freedom Charter. This charter was a demand for a non-racial democratic society; one whereby people of all colours could partake, without being treated unequally. The meeting that was held for this, lasted for only about two days before police raided the place and confiscated the documents, believing that they were conspiring treason. There was an order, for the following year, that bulldozers be sent to flatten Sophiatown. Charles Robberts Swart also sent police squads throughout the country to search the houses of those who were assumed to be radical. Many well-known political names were among those who were under suspicion; example, Nelson Mandela. During this time, Desmond Tutu and his father quit being teachers and took up becoming a priest. It was not an initial dream of Tutu to take up the job of priesthood, but he did it, despite it being a challenging thing. He had a recommendation for it but was not accepted immediately. He had to wait until 1957. In 1958, Tutu experienced becoming a minister in an Anglican Church, but also went on to further his studies in England, getting a master's in theology. He went on to lecturing theological seminars and it became his forte to speak to worldwide institutions and organisations. He had virtues such as ecumenicity, justice, as well as the social-political responsibility of Christianity and reconciliation, as the secretary of the South African Council of churches.

Tutu acted as a spokesperson for the minorities within South Africa; which were the blacks – the race that had it the worst -, the 'coloureds' – which was a term used for people who were of mixed race-, and lastly, the Indians. The reason why the blacks were known to have it worst was on the reason that they could not move from place to place, freely, without what was known as a 'passbook'. This was a means of identification, allowing them to be in places. Tutu was influenced by the apartheid government and their oppressive ways to take a stand and speak out about the injustices. He was there as a stance for hope, knowing that his God was on the side of the oppressed, rather than the oppressor.

Throughout his life and leadership, he tried his utmost to teach South Africans, rather than revenge, they should work towards reconciliation. Same with retribution; he wanted South Africans to work toward justice. Mr E. C. Anyaoku, Assistant Secretary General of the Commonwealth Secretariat had explained that Desmond was a man of courage and he possessed a deep perception of things. Tutu was a hopeful person; this was based solely on his belief in God. Desmond Tutu cared strongly about the oppressed as well as injustices done unto them. The had these beliefs because he believed in a God he knew to be on the side of those that are oppressed. Tutu was a person to be very transparent in what he believed in as well as his views on things, this makes him admirable as he is someone one would know what to expect of him. He does not give false representations of his personality. For example, he has openly stated that he thinks capitalism is a quote: "it is un-freedom" and "it is morally repulsive".

At the end of Apartheid – also known as the period in South African History having a brutal system of segregation of races – Nelson Mandela became the first black president within the country. For one of his first acts of president, in order to establish peace – as well as justice to those who were wronged during apartheid – Mandela ordered a Truth and Reconciliation Commission. This commission was to offer amnesty and the chance of forgiveness to those who confessed to their crimes. The Chairperson of this commission was none other than Archbishop Desmond Tutu himself. In 986, he became archbishop of Cape Town and in 1987, he was known as what they called 'the president of All African Conference of Churches'. Even though- since being in the position he was can cause a lot of criticism and he did get a lot of it - especially coming from his own black community, he continued on as he would, disregarding any backlash he were to face from outsiders, or his own people. He remained a mediator and reconciler.

"Apartheid will be dismantled and its victims will remember those who helped to destroy this evil system. And President Reagan will be judged harshly by history." Tutu's legacy is that of a peaceful struggle. He is known for the non-violent struggle in which he used in order to overcome the hardship he and South Africa faced before 1994. He was even recognised universally, and won a Nobel Peace Prize, as proof of this. There was attention directly put unto him as his efforts were admirable; the way he wanted to unite the whites and blacks of the country to be able to bring South Africa out of its turmoil and crisis.

In conclusion, we see that the impact of Desmond Mpilo Tutu had lasting effects. What he has done – his attempt to have a non-violent struggle in order to unite South Africa- has helped in making the country what it is today. His name has made it across countries, many recognising his efforts into resolving and ending apartheid. To this day, he is still globally recognized and admired for the contribution he has made to the South African country as well as its history.

_

Brownfeld, A.C. "We know what he opposes, but what is it he stands for?," Santa Ana Orange County Register, 5 November 1986, p.17.

Chaudary, A. "Interview with Desmond Tutu, Archbishop of Cape Town," The Muslim World, (100), pp. 117-123.

Crompton, S.W. Modern Peacemakers: Desmond Tutu Fighting Apartheid. Chelsea House Publishers, New York, 2007.

De Klerk, B.J. "Nelson Mandela and Desmond Tutu: Living Icons of Reconciliation," The Eumenical Review, (55), (4), pp. 322-334.

Joffé, R(Dir). The Forgiven, Light and Dark Films, United States, 2017.

385-395.

Sparks, A., & Tutu, M. Tutu Authorized. Blackwell Limited, New Zealand, 2011.