She Might Not Make It Home Tonight

I stand around the corner of the Cornucopia, heart beating wildly in my chest. It isn't that I doubt my abilities. No, I know I can take Fire Girl down in an instant. How to do it was the problem. Sure, she'd be an easy, simple enough to send a knife through her heart. But that wasn't the career way of doing things. It had to be done with precision, and had to make her suffer. 

        Before I can even catch sight of her, Foxface is darting across the grass, grabbing her pack, and swiftly crashing through the trees. I growl at the fact that I was careless and that I missed her, but it doesn't matter much. Katniss is a bigger threat, and Cato could take out the redhead with ease. 

        I turn my head side to side rapidly, trying to see if I can spot my target. She's obviously coming. This I know considering she's probably teamed up with Lover Boy right now because of the rule change. Cato knows what he did. Peeta won't be able to hold out much longer with a cut like that, and it's bound to be infected right now. He's dying, so some form of medicine must be in their pack. 

        I consider just forgetting the whole thing. It would be simpler if I just grabbed Cato and I's bag along with District Twelve's and make a break for it. But I know I can't. That would make me seem weak, and better to prove my worth now than later. Cato would finish her off if it was just the three of us left. This is something I have to do. 

        Just as I am about to slip from hiding in search for Katniss, she has unveiled herself for me. She sneaks out of the trees quickly, looking around to make sure no one is following her. She pumps her legs and reaches the table, only to swipe up her bag and head in my direction. 

        It's now or never, Clove. 

        The knife leaves my hand before she even sees me. Much to my dismay it whizzes past her right side, and she deflects the blade with her bow, shock registered on her face. I scowl at the fact I was so careless with my aim. Everyone at home knows I never miss. 

        She regains composure effortlessly and draws the bowstring back, sending an arrow directly at my heart. I turn at just the right time, but don't completely dodge it. It buries itself in my left shoulder and I wince as I rip it out as quickly as I can. 

        Lucky for me, I throw with my right arm, so the wound does not do much to set me back. She draws back and is about to hit me again when I snatch one of my knives from my vest, a medium size one with a lethal edge, and throw it right at her face. It catches her right above her right eyebrow, creating a gash that sends blood trickling into her eye. 

        I cannot help but smirk as she tries sending another arrow in my direction, missing me by a long shot. The blood blinds her and I reach Katniss, tackling her to the ground. She tries to fight back, clawing her hands at my face and throwing me to the ground. I scramble up and get on top of her, pinning her to the ground with my knees. 

        My chest heaves up and down and Katniss flails from underneath me, but I will finally have my moment of victory. I will finally extinguish the fire in this arena.

        "Where's you boyfriend, District Twelve? Still hanging on?" I ask, lips curling up into a grin. 

        She glares at me and snarls, "He's out there now. Hunting Cato." She then takes a breath before screaming out, "Peeta!" 

        Fear suddenly consumes me. What if he is? What if he's waiting to show himself right now and he's got Cato tied up somewhere? 

        I mentally chastise myself. That's stupid. Peeta isn't capable of walking on his own. And even if he was, he'd be no match for Cato. I jam my fist down on her windpipe just to be sure, darting my head from side to side to check for any signs of movement. There is none.