"I..don't think that's what happened."

"I know she's attractive and all, but I strongly suggest you don't go for it." Grayson sighed. "I'm sure that's a tough not to crack."

"I'm not going for anything. We were just talking."

"Let me get this straight. You promise not to use your Quentin Charm on your hot boss, and then you go and do it on your first day? Do you even listen to me?" Oak said, shaking his head.

As soon as I had gotten home, I had to tell him about my encounter with Rivers. I thought he'd be able to give me some answers.

"I didn't charm her...I only said like three words to her!"

"It's about how you said them. Let me guess, you gave her the eyes."

"No- I don't think so. I don't know, Oak. I thought it was fine, but everyone else told me something different."

"Damn, maybe it's a subconscious reaction now. Whenever you see an attractive woman, your brain produces a chemical that makes you want to try and sleep with her."

"I'm not a creep."

"Nope, just a conquistador."

"What?"

"You see a challenge, and you try to conquer it. This is gonna be your hardest one yet."

"I don't know why I ask you for advice Oak. You know nothing." I said, heading back to my room to hopefully get more sketches finished.

"I know everything! Resist the urge Quentin! Suppress the charm!"

"Whatever man."

Nadia «

Like most days, I was in my office longer than I anticipated. I assured Harley I didn't need her to stay, but she found herself sticking around.

Likely to gossip.

"Who would've thought? The struggle-buddies got a lot done today." She laughed.

"It's about time...as much as I hate to say it, Daley made a damn good decision with that new hire. He's talented."

Harley choked dramatically on her tea she was sipping.

"Did you just compliment.....an...art director?"

"I'm as shocked as you are. But today I was impressed. I don't know...I may put some of them in the running to accompany me to the store opening."

"Woahh, the store opening? You wanna take one of them?"

"What I said was, I'm considering it. I wanna go into this season with an open mind...maybe that will make things less tense around here. Maybe less people will...you know, hate me." I said, mumbling the last part.

"I applaud your new mindset Nadia, I do. But I wouldn't get your hopes up with them. I think someone a little....higher up should go."

"I guess we'll see. Now you go on home Harley. I'm gonna send a few emails."

"Why do you lock yourself in this office?"

"Good nighttt." I smiled sweetly.

"Fine, I'll see you tomorrow morning then. Don't keep yourself here all night."

"I won't." I told her, as she left my office.

Through the glass window behind me I could see the sun was beginning to set. Many nights I stayed late in the office.

Sometimes to catch up on thing that I'm behind on. Sometimes to get a head start for the next day..sometimes...just not to go home.

I found that sometimes, I made work my life.

No boyfriend of course, my best friend since college was now married with her own family, I spent a lot of my personal time..alone.

Might as well get work done.

As I was sending the last email, my phone buzzed.

Oh and Nadia....don't think I forgot about your birthday this week 😉

-Harley

I cringed at the thought of Friday. In this building, birthdays were such a big deal. People would leave gifts and cards on each other's desks, bring small deserts and treats, they sometimes even gathered around to sing.

Although that isn't necessarily the treatment I hoped for, I looked forward to my birthday changing the atmosphere a bit. Maybe instead of turning away from me in the elevator, someone will say "happy birthday" or "what are your plans today?"

Something.

I turned off my computer for the evening, before standing up from my desk.

I guess it's time to go home.