80 Days Before Rebellion

It's the first time that Diavolo has felt such peace.

The way you move your lips is nothing but serene, your movements fluid like water but tranquil all the same. The hands you've brought to rest atop the demon's chest lie so delicately, so gently, so tenderly that it feels like the slightest breath of wind might whisk them away, and the very thought makes Diavolo pull you closer against him, his hold around your waist tightening.

The demon hardly even registers the moment when you part his lips and slip your tongue inside—nor does he understand how easily you coax him into letting you lead him through the movements. For the first time in his life, he isn't possessed with a need to assert dominance over the one he is with, merely opting to savor the sensation of your touch, letting you take the lead instead.

It is utterly unbefitting of a future prince, he knows.

And yet, Diavolo cannot bring himself to care.

"Stay with me tonight."

Four words, mumbled so softly that the demon almost thinks you might have missed them. But even if you don't hear them with the way the wind has pulled Diavolo's voice from him, you feel the words as he whispers them against your lips.

You lift your head off, your eyes softening at the sight beneath you.

"Diavolo," You tease, a coy smile spreading on your lips. God, Diavolo thinks. He isn't sure whether he wants to kiss those lips again or simply savor the sight of them spread in such a delicious grin. "If that's your way of asking to bed me, I'm afraid you'll learn that a lady such as I cannot be courted in a single night."

"B-bed you?!" The demon sputters, incredulous. "I—I did not mean—I am a proper man, and I would hardly—would never bed someone on the first night—I mean—unless you wanted to, now that would be a different story—not to imply—I would never—"

"Diavolo," You murmur into the demon's ear, silencing him with the sultry way your voice falls. "I was only teasing."

Ah. Of course.

When did Diavolo become so susceptible to your ways?

The demon closes his eyes in shame as you capture his lips in another sweet kiss, almost forgetting his prior embarrassment with the way you seem to pull him into a new world the moment your lips collide—a world free of imperial tyrants, overzealous Resistance leaders, and a terrifying Rebellion which will mark the end of all things beautiful.

Indeed, Diavolo could kiss you for centuries and still not tire.

But you pull away all too soon, raising your lips until they're just a hair's width above Diavolo's own.

"But I can't stay here," You mumble softly. "The guar—m-my family, I mean. My family will be looking for me. And my house is far from here. Not in the direction of the palace, of course. It's, um, the other way. Uh, a bit northwest, you know? A-and if my family walks into my room and sees that I'm not there by morning, they'll get...scared. And I'll be, um, in trouble."

Diavolo sighs at your atrocious lying, deciding to find it endearing instead of fixating on how poorly you hide the truth.

"When do you have to go?" Diavolo murmurs in response, quietly praying that it'll be a suitably late time because, right now, all he wants to do is lie in your arms and kiss you some more.

"My mai—my family usually wakes me up around six in the morning. And it takes around two hours to get there from here. It should be around midnight right now, but I do need to sleep a little, so it's best if I leave now, if I'm honest—"