CH 5: Moo Shu to Go

Start from the beginning

"I'm doing great and everyone in Idris is good" mother says.

"And no Max. Just Mom with her hair on fire" Iz added as she and Clary walk next to me and Jace.

"I love how Shadowhunters share. A hidden brother, and a secret country, and a private Portal" Clary added, even though it was unnecessary. Then, Alec walks in.

"Mother. Welcome back. We didn't expect you" Alec hugs mother.

"You should be prepared, whether you expect me or not" mother says to Alec and, probably, all of us.

"I am. We are."

"We'll talk about the Institute later. Right now, we have a bigger problem. The Seelies have stopped communicating with the Clave and won't explain why. My guess is they're still upset we asked them to send scouts to look for Valentine but no one in their realm will talk." Mother explained as she walked around us.

"I have Seelie friends" Iz proudly said.

"Yes, I know about your friends" mother said as she walked to Iz. "Isabelle, we stay separate from the Downworld for good reasons. The wrong move, the wrong word- Do you think there is such a thing as harmless rebellion? Who knows what offends these creatures? Maybe you told him. . . them. . . something they shouldn't know. Maybe you stole on one of their ridiculous customs without knowing it."

Jace interrupted "Wait, wait. I don't understand. You're laying this on Izzy for having a friend in the Downworld?"

"When someone upsets the natural order, everything falls apart."

"Natural order? What are you saying?" Clary asked. Of course, everyone ignored her question.

"I can help" Iz tried to say. "I know how to talk to Seelies."

Alec finally talked and added "She's right. She can visit Meliorn and see what he knows. I could go with her if you want."

"I'd rather Jace goes along this time. Alec, Echo, you guys stay with the Fairchild girl. I want her under control. She's caused enough trouble already."

"Yes ma'am" I say.

"Maybe that's because I wasn't even a Shadowhunter until a few days ago!" Clary shouted at mom. I widened my eyes. Bad idea, Clary I thought.

"And what an exciting few days it has been" mom says calmly. She then turns away from Clary, to the four of us. "The Clave counts on us Lightwoods to maintain order here."

"You don't need to tell me that. If the mission is important to the Clave, I would prefer to be the one who goes with Isabelle" Alec said.

"You should let mother decide. She's the head of the Clave and knows what's best" I finally spoke up, making everyone look at me. Mom smiled.

"Thank you, Echo. Finally, a smart child I've raised. You see, you're all so eager to do what you would prefer. It's time to face the truth. Life is not about what you want to do, it's about what must be done. I have given you your assignments, now carry them out." Mom pointed to Jace and Iz. "You and you, with me, now." Then, mom walked away with Jace and Iz following behind.

After they left, I then went to my room and put away my weapons. I was then bored, so I decided to read. I grabbed my book called Divergent and walked to the training room again so I could read.

After a while, Alec and Clary came in and started to train while having a conversation, but I ignored it until she said she wanted to leave to get a box. I quickly stood up before Alec can speak.

"Hell no. Not without mine or Alec's permission" I said and walked towards them until my phone started to ring. I looked at it to see an unknown number. I furrowed my brows, but answered it.