'What I promised...'

[F/n] looked up and wordlessly nodded. Hating that realization that some day her future was going to be set. Her fate was already set in stone all because she was scared. All because she said something so rashly without thinking.

════ ⋆★⋆ ════

"Open like this...ahhh"

Following the grown woman's facial expressions the younger girl did the same. Old enough to know exactly who to eat but being treated like a baby even so. Both adults not wanting to see the younger girl grow up.

"Good job!"

"She's already 5 honey, not 2"

"I know, I know"

The man chuckled and handed his wife a small towel. Taking it with care she wiped it across the younger girls mouth. Cleaning up all the left over food rather carefully as to make sure she didn't hurt the girl at all.

"I think it's almost time for a-"

The woman stopped talking after hearing a small knock to the door. Her head turning towards it and she subtly stood up. Though the moment she did her husband placed his hand on her own. His eyes narrowed towards the door.

"Stay back"

He whispered to her, getting up and grabbing a small knife that was on the table. Considering they lived so deep into the forest no one ever simply came to visit them. They went out and traveled for miles until they got to the cities where they'd pay someone to get food.

There's no connection to them and the house that any beast had known of. And yet someone was at the door. Knocking again only this time harder than before.

"Take [F/n] to the back door"

"What about you? I won't leave you"

Without looking back at her the man cursed. Knowing how much his wife loved to fight against him. Always wanting to stand beside him no matter what.

"I know you won't, but you need to...for her. This isn't just the two of us anymore"

Though the woman was about to argue back she knew that he was right. She'd be more than willing to stay back with him if something dangerous was waiting for them but the child wasn't. The happiest thing in their lives shouldn't have to stay with them and go through that.

"I love you"

"I love you too, and I'll say that to you again after this"