Chapter Sixteen

En başından başla

"Alright, that's fine." I sighed, more downhearted at the thought of spending another night in hospital than anything else.

"I'm going to have to get off to work." Ellie sighed regretfully. She got up and moved around the bed. She gave me a rather awkward hug because Maddie refused to move and said, "If you need me for anything at all, get one of these to ring me."

"I will, don't worry."

"If you're still here when I finish tonight, I'll bring you something... fun."

"It better not be grapes." I smiled, and Ellie laughed. "Deal. Take care yeah?"

"You too, see you later."

**

When the police turned up, they graciously kicked my dad, Alfie, and Maddie out of the room. Maddie said she didn't want to leave me and Alfie looked furious at the thought of not knowing what was going on. My dad ushered them out, but before he followed them, I called, "Dad? Will you stay, please? Is that alright?" I asked the officers; both male, one old and one young, sat beside me.

"If you want him to."

"I do."

Dad took his seat on the other side of me and lightly patted my hand once or twice.

"What do you remember about the attack Jakob?" The old officer said.

I sighed and looked at my dad. "You're not going to like this, but please don't tell the other three."

"What son?"

"It was Lacey." I whispered. Dad's mouth dropped open. I turned to the police and said. "Lacey Armstrong. She's my ex girlfriend, we broke up over two years ago now, but lately she's been... I suppose you could call it stalking me."

I told them everything about Lacey that had been going on for the last few weeks, along with everything I could remember from the attack, the details just got hazy when the ambulance got there.

They asked a few more questions but they weren't there very long.

"Thank you Jakob, that's all we need to know for now. We'll be in touch." The young officer said.

"Get well soon." The old officer added.

"Thank you."

I glanced nervously at my dad when they left. He was staring down at his hands, his face slightly red and his jaw clenched.

"Dad?"

"Why didn't you tell me Jakob?"

"I just-"

"Weeks? She's been on at you for weeks and you never said anything? If you'd just told me when all this started, this might never have happened, I might have been able to do something-"

"No, please don't start that dad, it isn't your fault! It's hers, but it's alright now. She won't get away with it."

He looked at me and the furious expression on his face made me want to move away.

"It's alright now? Jakob, she could have killed you. Do you actually understand that? She could have killed you and it's taking everything I have to just keep sitting here. I don't think I've ever wanted to hurt someone like this before."

"Dad, I'm sorry." I whispered, feeling tears sting my eyes. "You're right, I should've told you."

"Yes, you should."

"I didn't know this would happen though did I? Please, just let the police handle it."

He didn't say anything. If anything, he looked angrier.