Absent Friends

OCT 26 09:32:48 NCIS OFFICE INTERIOR

Special Agent Tony Dinozzio walked into the NCIS office with an unusually contemplative look on his face. "Astonishing how a mind as brilliant as mine can devote years of sweat and tears to a subject and still not master it."

"Some might call it astonishing." Ziva David, former MOSSAD agent, nodded from her desk. "I've long since stopped being surprised by your ignorance in any particular area."

"I'm speaking of women." Tony threw her a look of mock-censure. "Just when you think you've got them figured out, they do something that throws you for a complete loop."

"Amen to that." From his desk, Special Agent Tim McGee raised his eyebrows. "There a story behind this, Tony?"

"Nothing worth mentioning." Tony let out a contemplative sigh. "Still, I will confess that the failure makes me despair of ever deciphering the great mystery that is Woman."

"Perhaps it is not that women are so complicated, but rather that men are so dull." Ziva shot back.

"Your words would wound me if they had any truth to them."

"Trust me. Be grateful that you do not have to comprehend MEN," harrumphed Ziva.

"Nonsense." Tony spared a moment to adjust his hair. "Men are clear, honest, simple. Nothing easier to understand. Women are something else entirely."

"I know there are SOME women I've never understood." McGee said suddenly.

Tony and Ziva looked at each other.

McGee was staring at the screen with an unusual intensity. "Just when you think you've found the one and everything's all sorted out..." He shook his head. "I'm with you, Tony. Women are impossible to understand."

"No more than any other person." Special Agent Leroy Jethro Gibbs, head of Major Crimes, walked past McGee's desk.

"Hi boss." Tony replied, watching the older agent. "We got a case?"

"Oddly enough, no," answered Gibbs, clicking away on his computer. "Criminals must be having a holiday, or at least the ones in our jurisdiction."

"This is going on... two weeks? Without a case? Quite something." Tony marveled.

"So far as I know, no one's complaining about the lack of bodies." Sighing, Gibbs slapped the side of his monitor in frustration. "McGee!"

"Coming, boss." The IT specialist left his desk.

While they were occupied, Tony caught a small motion from Ziva's head. As discreetly as possible, he left his workstation and came over.

"You think he's still upset about...?"

"Definitely." Tony nodded, watching McGee. "Just as well that Abby's on vacation, really. Give him another week of space, he should recover."

"Hm. It is to be hoped." Ziva did not sound optimistic.

Gibbs' phone started ringing. "Hold on a second, McGee." He waved the technician off as he raised the phone. "Special Agent Gibbs, NCIS." There was a slight pause. "Yes, that's right. What can I do for you, Detective Taylor?"