Story # 2

When I entered my apartment I was surprised to see my neighbor Katie sitting in the living room at one in the morning. She gave me a small smile to which I raised my eyebrows.

"Is everything okay?"

"Yeah everything's alright now. She," Katie points her thumb in the direction my and my wife's room, "wasn't feeling so well so i thought i'd come over to check. Shes fine now, asleep."

"What happened to her?" I ask.

"Umm, she was crying. No scratch that she was screaming and breaking things. Loud enough for me hear. So I came in to check on her. She was a mess honestly. "

"Why didn't she call me? Why didn't you call me?"

"I did! Check your phone. I called you a few billion times."

Upon hearing that I pulled my phone out and tried to unlock it. However it does not switch on, leading me to believe it's dead.

"It's dead. Did she say anything about why she was crying?" i had an idea why she would be having a breakdown but I needed Katie to conform to it.

She shook her head, "she just said that she missed you."

Of course she did. "Okay. Thanks for coming, Katie. I'll take it from here."

Katie didn't say anything, just smiled and walked past me. I heard the door open and close, signalling that she had left. I sighed and ran a hand through my hair. After placing my laptop bag on the couch, i head towards our room where my wife sleeps on our bed. Instead of walking to the bathroom as i had originally intended i walk towards the pillows on which her head rests. Her hair was sprawled all over her gorgeous face but i could still make out the tear stains on her cheek. I brushed her hair aside and went to the restroom to freshen up.

When i came out she was still fast asleep. I got under the covers with her and tried to grab her to spoon with her. But as soon as I touched her, she woke up.

"fuck you," were her first words when she saw me.

"Yup. you're totally right. Fuck me."

"Go back where you came from," she spits.

"I'm sorry baby," I apologized.

"I don't fucking care. I seriously don't."

"Baby, i was busy. There has been a lot of work at the office."

"There has been a lot of," she throws her hands in the air and makes air quotes, "work for the past four months. When the fuck is it going to end?"

"I just have a presentation this month, after that I'm all yours."

She rolls her eyes, "i hear that shit every month."

"love-"

"Just go and sleep outside. I don't wanna see your face right now."

"Are you serious? Whatever. Okay.'' I grabbed my pillow and walked back out to the living room. I threw my pillow on the couch but did not lay down. Instead I stood quietly just hearing the sound of my own breaths.

That was interrupted when I heard a sob. I turned to our bedroom, ready to walk there and comfort my wife but was surprised to see her standing in the doorway. She rushed to me and hugged me. Her head buried in my chest while I stroked her hair.

"I- i just needed you," she sobbed.

"I'm really sorry my love."

"I love you."

"I love you too sweetheart."