Additional Scene 7

Puck

It is still dark outside when my alarm goes off the next morning. I shower quickly and get dressed to go to work. When I go to leave I see that Finn has packed me lunch. I am pleasantly surprised by this. It is just Finn and me now that Gabe has left. Mr Falk's words at his son's funeral made me realize that Gabe is not dying. Things aren't the same but at least I get to see my brother again. 

I ride Dove to work and leave her in a nearby field with the broodmares. I thought that I would get in trouble, the first time I did this, but Malvern seems to, surprisingly, turn a blind eye when I do. I am surprised he does this because she is fed Malvern feed when she is here. 

I go about mucking stalls and feeding and brushing the horses until lunch. I am one of the only people willing to go in and clean out the stalls of the Cappaill uisce even though they are empty, so it is a job left for me. I am sitting on a stool in the main stables, about to eat my peanut butter sandwich, when someone comes up beside me. I pay him no attention at first, thinking that he is just grabbing something near me or walking by. I shuffle my stool a bit to the side in case I am in his way. Only when he doesn't move and clears his throat do I look up at him. 

He flinches when I do, and takes a step back. This both annoys and pleases me at the same time. I don't say anything, I just stare and wait for him to speak. He finally clears his throat again before actually speaking. "Mr. Malvern would like to see you." I narrow my eyes, wondering what he might want of me. I know that I have been doing a good job, and he has someone else hand out the envelopes with our weekly pay in them. Maybe it's about Dove. 

I take a bite out of my sandwich and stand up, startling the nervous man again. He looks to be in his thirties, medium height, with sandy hair and brown eyes. He seems familiar, but I can't remember his name. I feel the need to reassure him that I won't bite him, so I hold out my hand and introduce myself, even though everyone here already knows who I am, "Kate." 

"Alan," he replies, visibly less tense. 

"Thanks, Alan." I attempt a smile for good measure and gather the rest of my lunch before walking towards the Malvern house. I don't bother knocking. He is waiting for me in his sitting room, a cup of his odd tea in front of him. 

"I want Kendrick back," he declares. I look at him wondering what this has to do with me. He seems to catch on to my question, so he adds, "I want you to help convince him to do it."

"I am not sure I can succeed at what you're asking of me Mr Malvern."

" I know he's obsessed with that red stallion, but he must be getting bored, sitting around all day." 

I know he is right, but I don't give this away. Sean is afraid to leave Corr alone, and he also doesn't want to succumb to working for Malvern again. He would soon need the money though, seeing as he spent almost all of his savings on Corr. Sean is becoming empty as well, just sitting around Corr's stall. He needs this now more than ever. 

Three points run through my mind: 1) Sean needs this; 2) I can't exactly say no to Mr. Malvern; 3) why me? I don't want to interfere in their business, but I know that Sean is more likely to listen to me than Malvern. Both he and I know this, and this is why I must interfere. 

This will be the first time I am on the opposing side of an argument with Sean. I am not looking forward to this conversation.