15 | Girl's Night

Start from the beginning

I scoffed at the idea. The feelings I felt for Chase never extended past being best friends after the four years of spending time as my bodyguard.

The wine bottle was set back on the counter after I finished topping off our glasses before I trailed behind Laurel to the classic, red couch I loved so much. I carefully balanced the two glasses between my fingers in my right hand and carried the third bowl in my left.

"Oh, so—" I nodded to myself as I rounded the side of the couch and perched myself across from my friend, leg tucked underneath my body. "The whole thing you have going on with my brother is 'up for interpretation'?" I countered with a knowing smirk.

The ice cream and wine were exchanged between the two of us and set on top of the table in front of the couch.

Laurel's head tilted to the side, taken aback by the question as her mouth fell slack. She sharply inhaled through her nose. "Tommy and I are..."

Her words fell short when she found herself struggling to find the right meaning.

"Uh huh," I hummed in response, amused.

The relationship my brother had with Laurel was nothing less of complicated; not quite a couple, not quite just friends. Their on-and-off relationship never bothered me until Oliver's return when I noticed the way Laurel's eyes lingered on him instead of Tommy.

A tight smile formed across my lips. "You know I love you," I began, casually swished the red wine around the glass with my hand.

Our eyes locked.

My voice purposely dropped to a lower octave as a wave of seriousness washed over my body, face hardening. "But don't hurt my brother."

Laurel's face softened with a moment of guilt. "I'm not trying to," she whispered, earnestly.

"I know," I replied, believing her, yet continued to fear she would break my brother's heart. "But if you're unsure of what you two have in any way, be honest with him now. Don't lead him on."

Laurel nervously swallowed.

The rims of our glasses were brought to each of our lips while an unsettling silence settled upon the living room. A strong look of uneasiness washed over her facial features for reasons that weren't due to my warning. Hints of guilt simmered with Laurel as my word's sunk into her mind.

My eyes tentatively shifted from my blonde friend across from me to the direction of the hallway that led to the front door. The third bowl laid between the two of us on the table, slowly melting. The tension and silence in the room broke when I abruptly jumped to my feet after I set my wine down on the table.

"What are you doing?" Laurel asked, intrigued by the sudden actions.

The third ice cream bowl lifted from the table as I maneuvered my way to the front door with a sly grin, still in view. "Mint chocolate chip is Chase's favorite," I responded.

A twinkle shined in Laurel's eyes at the comment. She smirked at me and leaned back into the cushions of the couch.

My figure disappeared around the corner as I approached the wooden door of her apartment, swinging it open after a quick twist of the doorknob.

Chase stood outside of the apartment with his back against the hallway wall, hands stuffed in his black suit pants. His head instantly turned in my direction at the sound of the door opening, taking notice of the bowl of ice cream in my hand.

"Laurel thought you might enjoy this," I said with my hand outstretched toward him.

He broke out in a large grin, graciously accepting the bowl from my hands. "She was right."