Fiftyfive - Cuddles

"Be careful bubs." Lottie cooed as she picked the bouncing toddler up from the bed just before he could pounce on Harry's torso. "H is hurt, so we've gotta be really careful Ern." She told him sweetly, letting the little boy pout cutely from where he was sat on her hip, staring longingly over at the curly haired boy who was bound to the hospital bed.

Harry laughed faintly at the adorable face before gently patting the empty space beside him, Louis was resting over on a chair beside Dan, letting his sisters fuss over him and tell him stories, listening intently to each word just taking in everything he could, so the toddler was free to take his seat. "It's all good Lottie, he can come up here." Harry smiled, trying his best not to groan at the slight burn in the back of his throat as he spoke, he had been making an effort to keep the talking to a minimum but even so, it was a struggle to stop the coughing and wheezing fits that ensued every once in a while.

The little boy practically beamed at Harry as Lottie hesitantly lowered the blonde toddler into the pile of pillows, she bit at her lip nervously, not wanting to injure Harry any further but the green eyed boy just waved her off with a reasurring smile before cautiously wrapping his free arm around Ernest. "Gunna give me cuddles E?" Harry whispered into the boys head of hair before peppering tiny kisses into the toddlers temple making him giggle and squirm further into the older boys side.

Harry chuckled at the little one who stared back at him with glistening, big, blue eyes, watching closely as the toddler settled a small chubby hand on his chest and began softly stroking it, somehow understanding that Harry was hurt and needed to be cared for. "You're so sweet to me." Harry grinned brightly, unable to form any other expression as he looked down at the little boy rested beside him. He had formed quite the connection with Ernie since the first time they had met, of course Harry loved all of Louis' siblings, as they did him, but Ernest was a constant, he clung to Harry like an anchor whenever he was around and would just babble away whilst playing with the boys curly hair or following the intricate designs on Harry's skin, he just loved the tattooed boys company- it was new for the toddler who hadn't always been the most outgoing little boy.

Louis had told Harry that his little brother practically idolised him a few times since they had met and at first Harry had been wary that he was getting in between their family's dynamics, cutting Louis out, making him feel inferior or isolated, but the older lad had easily calmed his racing mind the moment he had seen Harry's guilt stricken expression. The truth was, Louis loved watching Harry connect with his younger siblings, they were already so unbelievably tight knit, it was incredible for him to see, the girls had even said on a few occasions that they already viewed Harry as another brother, someone they loved and could rely on. It warmed Louis' heart to no end because in a way Harry was rebuilding their family, their bonds, because after everything that had happened the year prior, losing the one person they loved most, it had been a struggle to connect with one another like they had before. Sure, they were always there for each other but no one really spoke about their problems or what they were going through, the normal messy stuff that made life life, it was just them trying to get through each day without any more unnecessary pain- Harry had slowly changed that.

Harry cuddled close with the toddler, playing with the tiny fingers that were settled upon his chest whilst being mindful of the vibrations that travelled through his shoulder as little boy rambled away, making no sense at all but if Harry was just being honest he loved watching his expressions, seeing the way Ernie's face would light up as he awhed and ooed but then in a matter of moments change to a grumpy mien full of pouty lips, chubby cheeks and furrowed brows. Harry couldn't help but smile, the unpleasant pain and the vivid memories of the night before didn't seem to matter much anymore with all the amazing people that surrounded him in the tiny hospital room. He finally felt needed, wanted, but most importantly loved.