27) The Kidnapped

Start from the beginning

"Well let's get going then, shall we?"

He nods and stands while I stretch. Waiting patiently for me to grab my weapon, he straightens his cape and opens the door for me. I smile my thanks and hurry out.

"Reeve has his men out in the snow fields and cliff so that you do not need to freeze again."

"So we're stuck in this little village then?" I look around at the children dressed in Snow clothes and shiver. "I've gotta go get a jacket or something."

"That would be wise."

"You're so deadpanned," I roll my eyes before dragging him after me to a clothing store. Ugh, I hate shopping so much. I just grab whatever jacket looks like it'll fit in dark blue and pay for it, shoving it on.

"That was much less of an adventure than it would have been with Yuffie."

"I ain't a very girly person," I shrug. Then I cock my head to the side as I look at him. "Hey, you look well rested for once. No nightmares?"

"... No," he blinks as if he'd not realized it before.

"Good," I break out in a smile. "Now let's go play detective, Sherlock Valentine."

~|~|~|~|~

"I need to pee," I say randomly. We've been swallowed in silence for nearly fifteen minutes. Vincent pretends he didn't hear me, obviously having nothing to say about my strange outburst. I remember when I first tried to get his attention.
"I have a pet dragon. Snow has three eyes. I have a big butt! Wanna see?!"

"Vanille likes squash." What? Why would he care? No response except for a very slight huff. "I see Big Foot." Nope. You know what?! "I'm pregnant." His reaction makes me burst into a laughter that makes me stomach feel like I'm crushing it and my side ache. His crimson eyes widened just the slightest bit as he swiveled his head to stare at me in disbelief. At the realization that I was joking, his face goes flat and unamused, irritated and annoyed. I swipe away the tears from my eyes and purse myips together, fighting a grin.

"You looked utterly shocked."

"As any man would."

"Aw, did I scare you?" I stick my lower lip out.

"Not in the way you might think," he looks out at the snow in the distance. "I thought perhaps you had a lover on Gran Pulse."

"Nah," I wave him off, laying my head on his shoulder. He tenses, as always, before relaxing under my touch. I wonder if that's something he does as an instinct because of Hojo. How long did that psycho mess with him? How much on the inside was destroyed? And honestly, what kind of person does what he did to Vincent? An insane, obviously. And from what I've heard, Shinra still kept him, willing to do so even when his creation, Sephiroth, was out to get them. All worlds must be cruel places, then. "Why would you think that?"

"Why not? You're beautiful." My heart skips a beat as I look up at him with a small smile.

"Does that means you've got a secret girlfriend locked away in your closet?" He chuckles and shakes his head. After a few minutes, he speaks again.

"I think... I'm going to take a walk," he says slowly, waiting for me to move my head before standing.

"What's up?" I cock my head to the side.