16. classic

𝐲𝐨𝐮'𝐫𝐞 𝐨𝐯𝐞𝐫 𝐦𝐲 𝐡𝐞𝐚𝐝, 𝐢'𝐦 𝐨𝐮𝐭 𝐨𝐟 𝐦𝐲 𝐦𝐢𝐧𝐝

𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐧𝐤𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐢 𝐰𝐚𝐬 𝐛𝐨𝐫𝐧 𝐢𝐧 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐰𝐫𝐨𝐧𝐠 𝐭𝐢𝐦𝐞

𝐢𝐭'𝐬 𝐥𝐨𝐯𝐞 𝐨𝐧 𝐫𝐞𝐰𝐢𝐧𝐝, 𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐫𝐲𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐢𝐬 𝐬𝐨 𝐭𝐡𝐫𝐨𝐰𝐛𝐚𝐜𝐤-𝐢𝐬𝐡

== n i n i 's p o v ==

ricky and nini's temporary home

thankfully, i fall asleep before ricky comes home. i awake to see an empty takeout bag on the counter, which i'm assuming he picked up on his way home, the contents of which have been put in the fridge. ricky's already making breakfast, looking up and smiling at me once he notices that i'm awake. that damn smile. i turn over, stretching my body across the empty bed.

"why are you up so early? i thought it was your day off," i ask, reaching over and turning off my pager's alarm.

"i wanted to make breakfast for us."

us. so we're an 'us' now?

no, nini--him and gina are the us, apparently. it's okay though, really. i shot the new ricky down multiple times, he has every right to go after gina. i'm happy for them. really. should i bring it up? no. i shouldn't, right? it's none of my business.

ricky places the pancakes on the island for me as i walk out of the bathroom after changing, grabbing my name pin. i ignore them though, walking back into the bathroom. i'm not angry with ricky or anything..i'm just frustrated. more at myself, but--as e.j so gracefully put it--i still have that tiny bit of 'pent up anger, or hurt'.

"you're not gonna eat?"

"i don't think i'll have time, sorry."

"what do you mean, it's only seven?"

i don't respond, tying my hair back into a messy low bun. i look over to see ricky's confused expression in the mirror.

"nini, what's up? you didn't eat dinner last night, and.."

"i'm okay. it's good. we're all good." i lean down and grab my work bag from it's place on the floor.

"are you sure you don't want any pancakes?"

"maybe i'll take some for gina," i mumble to myself as i walk out, unaware if he was able to hear. probably not.

== r i c k y 's p o v ==

i definitely heard it.

maybe i'll take some for gina.

what's that supposed to mean? why would she take the pancakes to our coworker? did i do something? i feel like lately, it's all been two steps forward and one step back with her. but that's still moving forward, right? i know what the problem is--i'm not being straightforward enough. it's all just been little, simple gestures. i need to just go for it, without actually going for it. because actually going for it was a step in the wrong direction.

it's hard to fully put my mind on this when i'm stuck replaying nini's song from last night in my head. yes, i heard that too. i came home last night to the sound of her singing a song i can only assume she wrote about me. i knew if i just came in she'd regret going back to her old habits entirely, and i can't have her doing that--so i went out and got take-out. by the time i came home though, she was already asleep. i just wish there was a way to address the feelings she spilt in that song without..you know, actually talking to her about it. because at this point i've come to find out (the hard way) that the new nini doesn't do too well with talking about feelings. i don't blame her, the last time she did that with me..i ran away. well, the old me ran away.