Prologue

Revenge. It can kill you. It can save you. Revenge, the one thing in life that could change your life forever. Even love, as humans like calling it that, cannot change someone’s life for an eternity. Well, that was what I thought when I was a human at least.

            Still, those who have never wished for revenge, are those who have never once felt a real loss before.  

            Revenge... the taste of it is delicious, but not as delicious as the taste of purity. No, I am wrong. Nothing is as good as the taste of someone who has been through so many things, but still has purity left. Someone who is pure, but someone who has been through so many things, that it would be impossible. A soul, seeking for revenge but with purity, that is a contradiction, isn’t it?

            The taste of such a soul, I could never imagine what it would taste like. Sebastian told me that he had been close to such a soul...that he formed a contract with such a soul... it ended in an eternal contract. The soul he wanted to consume, the soul he wanted to devour, it slipped through his fingers.

            But he met another soul like that, he could’ve never imagined that another soul like that would exist but it did. The soul he had only once tried to taste, suddenly came a lot closer again. As if the history repeated itself he tried to chase the soul together with the soul he was holding an eternal contract with. But it didn’t go the way he thought it was going to go again.

            Ciel Phantomhive, the boy whose soul was so precious, so important to Sebastian, formed a contract with the treasured soul. The soul was exact the same, yet it was so different, no one could ever imagine what happened.

            Once a demon gets attached to a human, the only thing that will happen is pure suffering. The pain, the denial, it takes a lot for a demon to deal with that amount of pain. Yet, humans can never imagine what that pain feels like. Even Romeo and Juliet can’t tell you how much a forbidden love hurts, after all; they escaped it with death.

            ‘We took your soul, but we gave it back.’ Who would’ve ever thought it would turn out like this? To something this wicked? Something this strange.

            ‘You were meant to be a demon.’  I still can’t believe that, but now I feel complete indeed.

            The pain and the suffering, it will not be gone anymore. Demons should not feel love, so when they do, it is this strange feeling they normally push away and ignore. It is not a sweet love story, it has never once been something like that.  The painful truth, it will never once be normal.

            ‘I love you.’ are those words even suited for a demon? Is he even allowed to speak up about them? No. In fact he is not. Of course there is no ‘ruler’ over the demons, he is simply creature from hell. A place where he will never bring me. He will protect me from that place for as long as I am alive. Alive as a demon it is. I have died long time ago. I will never be the person I was before. Not that I want to, I hated that person.

            Yes, indeed.  I am the soul they were both longing for, the perfect imagination of how a soul should taste like. They tasted me, devoured me but returned me. The soul in my body has been in the stomach of two demons, yet I don’t feel any different from since I was a human. Yes, I am stronger now, I am absolutely stronger. But also, I am in love. With a demon. A demon whose freedom will be gone for an eternity. A demon who has been bound by a contract. I did not choose for the one who is the holder of the contract. I did not choose for the king. I chose for the servant.