Chapter Eighteen

I lean against the wall as Louis talks to Tem's memorial in a hushed tone. I sigh as I turn my head the other way. Louis refuses to let me stray far from him due to what happened last night. It is both endearing and slightly annoying considering we have different classes from one another. I cross my arms right below my chest and close my eyes, taking a deep breath. It's been three months since his death and the police aren't even close to figuring anything out. You would think the carnivore would have killed again, being unable to hold back their cravings. My ears droop at the thought.

I hear the rustling of clothing and open my eyes to see Louis standing up from his crouched position. We both remain silent as we walk away from Tem's image. We walk and both pause as we hear a noise behind us. Louis instantly shoves me behind him as he turns, eyes full of alertness. We stand still for a moment before Louis spins me around, walking behind me to block whatever was there. I glance up at Louis to see him staring straight ahead over me, ear twitching every few seconds, listening for any sort of noise. We begin to make our way to the front to get into Louis's limo in order to head over to the area where the festival is being held.

We slide into the limo before I finally speak. "What do you think was that noise?" Louis glances up at me from his phone.

"Most likely a carnivore to be fair. Two red deer together is an easy target, especially since one of them is me." I glance out the window at his words.

"Carnivores target you?"

"All the time, someone else stopped us from being attacked though." I nod my head, watching as the buildings blur by us.

"What are you going to do about Haru?" At this point the limo driver has put up the divider to allow us some privacy.

"I plan to talk to her later today, after all our activities are done with." I nod.

"Just be careful with how you do it. You can be blunt and rude without meaning to." I turn back to Louis to see him look offended.

"That was blunt and rude." He states with slight anger. I roll my eyes.

"I'm just trying to preserve the hurt she is going to go through... just be careful what you say to her." Louis nods, looking out the window. I can tell he is thinking about what he is going to say to Haru. I begin to think about who fell into that category of who he likes. We sit in silence. Comfortable silence to be exact. I look over at Louis nervously before looking back out the window. I lean against it, shutting my eyes and finding satisfaction in the movements of the car. Before I know it, I loll off to sleep, my head dipping down slightly.

I wake back up to Louis running his fingers through my fur, calling my name. I open my eyes and he instantly stops his actions. "We're here." I wince when I realize I've fallen asleep on his shoulder. When we get out of the car I bow to him and apologize, but he just waves me off, telling me not to worry. When we both enter the area the mayor calls Louis over.

"What do you think he wants?" I question. Louis shakes his head.

"I'm not sure. Stay over here though where I can see you. I'll be right back." I hum to let him know I hear what he said and lean against a tree, watching as the two talk, Louis glancing at me every few moments. He stops when the mayor says something though, his full attention on the lion. I watch as his body language changes to one of distraught and panic. I frown at the scene, watching it with careful eyes. The mayor and I make eye contact for a moment and I squint, crossing my arms and standing up straight in defiance. The mayor stops looking at me as they continue to talk. I lean back against the tree and watch as they shake hands, although it looks a bit forced. Louis leaves the tent and begins walking to me but pauses, clenching his fists in anger, shoulders shaking. I decide to meet him halfway and begin walking over to the taller deer.

Legosi rushes over to Louis, shouting his name and grabbing his arm. Louis rips his arm away from Legosi and continues to walk towards me. "If you want to go be my guest." He states as he maintains eye contact with me, us finally being in hearing range. Legosi looks on in anger.

"Don't you like Haru? She likes you in case you-" I gasp as I watch Louis whip around, punching Legosi square in the jaw.

"Louis!" I call out. He ignores me.

"Don't act like you know everything!" He screams. "All you are is a wolf pretending to be weak and nothing more than that! You don't understand anything! There's nothing we can do about it, we can't cause panic in the whole city to save one." I watch as Louis digs his nails into the palms of his hand, Legosi clutching his snout. I watch the scene in confusion and slight terror. I don't even know what they are talking about, but it's causing a fight to happen. Louis continues to talk and I frown, walking up to him and placing an arm on his shoulder. He looks down at me before looking back to Legosi. "You have to lie to protect the ones you love. You have to lie everyday to blend in with society!" Legosi stops clutching his snout, lowering his arm. I tug on Louis's sleeve.

"Louis that's enough." I say quietly, watching as Legosi gets tense, fists balling. Legosi begins to stalk forwards and Louis shoves me behind him protectively.

"I'll show you just how angry I am!" I let out a cry as Legosi punches Louis, flying back into me. A scream of pain leaves my lips as I land on my tail wrong, Louis's antlers hitting me on the head harshly. Louis flies back a bit more after hitting me. The amount of force Legosi used managed to injure us both. All because Louis was trying to protect me. I lay in the dirt in a crumpled heap, Legosi rushing over to help me up. "(Y/N)! I'm sorry!" He goes to reach for me and I flinch.

"Don't touch her!" Louis calls out, rushing over and sending a kick to Legosi's chest. I scramble back before standing up, watching the two continue to fight.

"Stop it! Stop!" I scream, unable to do anything to help. I look around frantically and spot two adult carnivores, running over to them with a slight limp. "Help me, please, they're fighting, my friends, please!" They both look down at me in alarm and I point to the brawl happening. The bear and white tiger rush over to Legosi, holding him back. Others were holding back Louis. The two continue to fight the grips of the older animals to get to each other. I stand in the middle of the two and that's when I break, letting out a sob. Louis's eyes widen, all focus leaving Legosi as he turns to me. He struggles harder than before, trying to get to me. The two animals don't let him though and I take a step back, shaking my head no.

"Let me go! I'm trying to get to her! Not him! Her!" He says desperately as I continue to step back. Before I know it, I'm turning and running away from the scene. I hear Louis break free, chasing after me. I huff as I urge my legs to go as fast as possible, ignoring Louis's calls. I continue to run, I don't even know where to go. Just run, run, run. Get away, get away.

I feel arms wrap around me and desperate gasps of air are being taken. I begin to scream, kicking and wiggling as Louis tries to calm me down. He eventually drags me down to the pavement, encasing me with his arms and legs. I curl into him, continuing to sob. "I'm sorry you had to see that." He mumbles into my ear, "It must have been terrifying, seeing two friends fight. You also got hurt in the process. I'm sorry." I just curl into him deeper, crying into his neck. "Let's go back, I'll take you to the nurse." I nod slowly as I feel Louis take out his phone. The scary thing is... I don't even know why the fight happened.