Chapter Thirteen

I knew this was going to happen. Only the carnivores are able to go into the city. Murders have sprung up all over and the news is flooded with information about it. Tensions in the school are high because of it. I glance at Louis from my place on the floor and we make eye contact before I look back to Sanu. My legs were criss cross despite being in my skirt. Spandex is a beautiful thing, can do every normal movement when you're in a skirt or dress. I raise my hand and Sanu calls on me. "What about omnivores?" I ask. The few omnivores look at me in thanks and I smile at them. Sanu pauses before Louis speaks up from his place on the wall.

"It is too risky for even omnivores to go out. Your thoughts are not in an ill place though." I nod, pursing my lips and watching as the others deflate in the room. Looks like no herbivores or omnivores can leave campus. Looks like I won't be able to visit Mom again. "You should all know by now what happens when carnivores lose their temper." Everyone looks over to Legosi and Bill before awkwardly looking away. I scratch my neck before standing and stretching my back. Everyone looks at me considering I was the first one to stand. I move and stand in front of Legosi and Bill, offering my hands.

"Let me help you guys up. I know I won't be able to do much considering how small I am but still, it's the thought that counts." They both look to each other before taking my hands and standing. Everyone else looks at me with a mixture of horror and admiration. I basically just showed everyone that I don't care about others being a carnivore, omnivore, or herbivore. In this world, that's a death sentence. The others soon stand up, chatting among themselves quietly. I smile up at the two carnivores. Bill tilts his head.

"I didn't know you had white fur on your ear (Y/N)." My eyebrows furrow in confusion.

"I don't." Bill lifts his hand but then pauses. I give him permission to touch my ear with a head nod. He reaches up, going to try and get this white off of my ear. The ear twitches as he touches it, but he shakes his head. Legosi is watching the whole thing.

'No... that's fur (Y/N)." I walk past him and look in the mirror, my ear twitching. My hand reaches up, rubbing the white fur slightly. My eyes are clouded with confusion and I make a noise of alarm from deep within my throat. I raise my shirt slightly, untucking it from my skirt to see the fawn spots that have always been on my stomach and back. It's the same shade of white. The shirt falls from my hands and I walk between Legosi and Bill, head down.

"Excuse me." I say quietly as I rush out of the room and into the girl's locker room. I instantly pull off my shirt and contort my body this way and that in front of the mirror. I haven't been paying much attention to the white patches of fur on myself considering I thought that they were fawn spots. Seeing how some of them have grown bigger and more are in spots that used to be a light red brown alarms me. My ears sit back tightly against my head as I begin to turn my body more rapidly. This isn't normal. I hear a knock on the door and I quickly look to the door. A knock means that it's a boy.

"(Y/N)?" It's Louis' voice. My eyes widen.

"Don't come in! I'm not dressed!" I feel him hesitate slightly.

"I'm coming in."

"No, don't!." He opens the door. His eyes widen as he sees me standing there in nothing but my bra and skirt in front of the mirror. He quickly shuts the door behind him as his eyes go up and down my upper body. No in a lustful or perverted way. In a curious, fascinated way.

"Those are the fawn spots you were talking about." I turn away from him, wrapping my arms around my body tightly. I feel Louis stepping up behind me. I quick;y go to put on a shirt but he stops me by grabbing my arm. "No, don't." He gently runs his hand on one of the spots and then a normal patch of fur. "They're different textures." He mumbles.

"I'm not insecure about them..." I explain, "At least, I wasn't. Then I came in here and saw there were more than before and now... I don't know what to do." Louis hums.

"It's simple really. We bring you to a doctor." I look at him like he's crazy.

"I went when I was younger, they said nothing was wrong." Louis scoffs.

"That doctor is an idiot then and shouldn't even be a doctor. I will take you to my personal doctor. My father can deal with me helping a classmate." I give Louis a small smile, him finally allowing me to put on a shirt.

"Thanks Louis." He nods.

"We can go tomorrow while the carnivores are out." I blink.

"We can't leave campus though." Louis simply smirks.

~~~

Louis and I both stare at the doctor in shock, myself curling into a ball. The doctor nods his head at me. "That is a trait of a rabbit even." My ears flatten against my head. I'm a hybrid... a hybrid. I stare blankly at the floor in front of me. Louis clears his throat.

"What does that mean for her health?" the doctor fixes his glasses.

"Well, for starters she is smaller than the average deer. The white spots of fur point to dwarf rabbit, along with the blood tests that we have done. She has mixed herbivore instincts of both deer and rabbit meaning she should be more timid than usual as well." Louis scoffs.

"She is definitely not timid. She just doesn't like doctors." The other animal nods, looking at me before turning back to Louis.

"Still, she is a hybrid of two herbivores who are prey to a lot of different carnivores. As for health issues themselves... weaker bones so be careful of breaks, your fur might turn completely white but I am not sure of that for certain. Your ears will most likely become more pointed but still keep their deer shape. It seems that it was your mother who was the deer considering you do look much more like a deer than rabbit. If not, deer are your dominant traits." He was looking at me now. I nod slowly. Louis nods as well.

"Thank you doctor, we'll be on our way now." Louis gently takes my hand, wrapping an arm around my waist to support me. My legs feel like jelly. He walks us to the limo and sits me inside before he slides in as well. The driver takes one look at me before rolling up the window between him and us. I instantly burst into tears as soon as it closed. Louis looks at me in alarm, not sure what to do. I curl into the seat of the limo and continue to cry. "You need to pull yourself together (Y/N). Is this how you want people to see you? This pathetic mess? So what if you are a hybrid? I surely don't give a damn. If anyone does, I surely will speak with them." He sucks at comforting people. I continue to cry, shaking my head before Louis rolls his eyes and slaps me. The slap isn't hard and it stings for only a moment. I stare at him with wide eyes. His eyes soften as he takes in my disheveled appearance. "Your life will not change at all, you are going to keep living the way you have been living. Everything will be fine." I nod. Everything will be fine. Louis smiles at me before turning to look out the window. I do the same. The rest of the ride is in silence. I'm still processing what I've been told. Now that I think more about it, my life isn't bad and nothing in it will change. Louis was right, nothing will change. My mom will still love me, my friends will still be my friends, everything is going to be okay. I nod, everything will be okay.