Silver and Gold

Chapter One

                My sister, Charlotte, and her lover, Tobias, were killed for their love. Lottie was the Crown Princess, she knew better. Still, it's kind of bittersweet. Forsaken lovers giving their lives because others would not approve of their relationship. Bunch of bullshit if you ask me. So what, Toby was a human and Lottie was a vampire. There isn't enough love in this cruel world, why crush what little there is? Well, you couldn't pay me enough to fall in love.          

                My name is Juliet, and now I am the Crown Princess of the Northern Kingdom. Inheriting my sister's title brought on many changes for me. First off, I had to leave my private home and live in the castle again. I had to uphold our family honor. And I had to marry Prince Austin, the humongous prick Lottie was engaged to.

                Needless to say, I was none too happy. If Father thought Lottie had a temper, well, let's just say he hasn't seen me in nearly fifty years. I gave him a piece of my mind on the whole arranged marriage situation. I did not want to marry Austin. After Annalee's betrayal of Lottie, I wanted nothing to do with his wretched family. Father, however, would not be swayed.

                So, here I am, wallowing in my own self pity in my wedding dress. My little sister, Lisbeth, was lacing up the corset for me. She was already wearing her soft white flower girl dress. The black and red gown really sat off my white hair. It wasn't that blonde/ almost white like Toby's. No, I had pure white hair with a single blood red streak in my bangs. I looked like an albino, but without the red eyes. I had my mother's blue/green eyes.

                "Juliet?" My step mother, Nala, was at the door. "It is time."

                I nodded and stood up. Nala handed me a bouquet of white roses. My father smiled at me and offered me his arm as we walked down the steps.

                "You look beautiful, darling." I snorted, but he ignored me.

                We were silent during the rest of the walk. I could hear the piano music waiting my arrival. I inhaled deeply as the doors to the chapel were opened for us. Lisbeth had thrown red petals down the white isle runner. Violet Grey was walking in front of me with my little brother, Liam. When they reached the alter, Father started pulling me down after them.

                And so the wedding ceremony proceeded. Father put my hand into Austin's. I tried to hold back my disgust when the priest cut our hands and let our blood mingle. The tattoo band appeared on both of our left ring fingers. Finally, it was time for the kiss. Austin lifted my veil and leaned in. I grimaced as his lips touched mine. He chuckled at me, and it took all I had not to punch him.

                When it was all over, I raced up to my bedroom and ripped the dress off. Removing the rest of my clothes, I sank into my bathtub of steaming hot water. Matisse, my handmaiden, had lit candles in my bathroom so I didn't worry about turning the lights on. I heard the door open and someone walk in.

                "Hello, my dear." A soft, deep voice said in my ear.

                "Austin! What the hell are you doing?" Man, was I glad for bubbles. Even though he couldn't see anything, I felt thoroughly exposed.

                "Now darling, is that any way to talk to your husband?" His eyes looked as if they were trying to move the bubbles out of his view.

                "Get the hell out!"

                "As you wish, my love." He gave me one last lustful look before leaving. I stood up and sighed, wrapping a towel around me. Slipping on a sea green nightgown after drying my hair, I pulled it back and walked out. Austin was sitting on my bed, an amused look on his face. I realized then just how little my nightgown covered. I took a second to look him over. He was wearing just his boxers, his pale skin shining in the moonlight.

                "What are you doing in my bed?"

                "Well, it is our wedding night." His deep voice was full of amusement.

                "Absolutely not!" I knew what he meant, and he was not getting any from me. "Go sleep with one of the servants if you're so horny. You are getting nothing from me!" I flopped on my bed and pulled the covers over my head.

                "Oh, I beg to differ, my lady!" He hissed in my ear and pulled me around to face him. There was a wicked grin on his face.

                "If you come anywhere near me, I will cut your tool off and sew it to your face." I used my power to push him away. He stood up and huffed off towards the door.

                "Juliet, I don't like this anymore than you do, believe me. What man in his right mind would want to be married to a little vixen like you?"

                "And what woman in her right mind would want to be married to an egomaniacal, womanizing, crazy, jackass like you?" He slammed the door he had opened and stomped back to me.

                "Listen, I know you don't love me and you know I don't love you, but what's cut stays cut.  There is nothing we can do about our situation but make the best of it."

                I sat there for a second, taking in his words. He was right, of course.

                "You don't have to be such a pervert about it." This made him laugh.

                "You're right and I'm sorry. Please forgive me, Princess." He got down on one knee and mock pleaded with his eyes. I couldn't help but laugh.

                "Of course, Prince Austin. You are forgiven." He jumped up and kissed my hand.

                "Great, because your father told me that during my stay I would be sleeping in your room."

                "Ahh! You little..." I was drowned out by his laughter. He jumped in my bed and pulled the curtains that block out the sun.

                I rolled away from him while he stripped his shirt and trousers off.

                "Juliet?" He was whispering in my ear. I knew what he wanted.

                "Austin?" I whispered right back. I wasn't looking forward to the next part.

                "You know what we have to do."

                "Yeah, I know."

                "They'll know if we don't."

                "Yes, Austin, I am aware of that."

                "So, we may as well get it over."

                I groaned, but rolled over to face him. I could tell he didn't want to do this anymore than I did, but as he said, everyone would know if we didn't. I moved my hair to the side, exposing my chest to him. He bit down softly over my heart, and I felt him suck the blood out. After a few moments, he released his grip. He smiled at me, looking drunk, with my blood still on his lips. I grabbed his wrist and sunk my own fangs into him. When I released him, I could see my dragon Mark twisting around his wrist.

                I grabbed a mirror from the bedside table and looked at my chest. A red floral pattern was springing up across my chest and over my shoulder.

                "That's actually really pretty." I was talking more to myself than anyone else, but Austin, moved my hand to look at it for himself.

                "Yeah, it is. Kinda different."

                "Humm." I took his wrist and was looking at my Mark. I had never bitten another vampire, nor had I Marked one. My green and silver dragon looked alive on his wrist. "That's nifty."

                "Nifty, you say?" His voice was getting deeper from how tired he was. "Yeah, I like it, it is kinda nifty."

                "Humm." Austin rolled away from me. Within minutes, I could hear him snoring lightly. I really didn't want him sleeping in my bed, but I was too sleepy to fight with him.

                I'll kick his ass in the evening.