𝖛. Made You Look

Start from the beginning

He huffed as he moved on to the small bowl of grits. "I got into a bit of trouble, that's it."

"Well, it didn't seem like it was 'a bit of trouble'," pressed Taina, not convinced. "It looked like someone sacked you for something you shouldn't have done." It wasn't a far-off guess. Eddie's still a registered private detective.

Eddie only grumbled something under his breath before polishing off his breakfast and placing the plate in the sink. He fixed his clothes and placed his hat on.

"Where are you going?" asked Taina, as she started washing the dishes. Taina grimaced. How was he already leaving again? Did he even sleep after whatever happened to him? Or was he just eager to help Roger?

"To rattle Maroon's cage. I'll be back. And while I'm gone, why don't you clean up a bit?" Eddie leaves before Taina can protest. Clean up. What was she, the live-in maid? Men are abysmal.

Taina cleaned up the apartment anyway. The place was a stye after the weasels dismantled it. It took a good hour to straighten everything out. The copious amounts of closed investigation papers were a pain to sort through but at least they were labeled correctly. Taina had her mother to thank for that. When she lived in America-the woman moved back home to Jamaica because her mother wouldn't stop nagging-she like to help with her father and uncle's cases, making sure everything was legible and findable if they needed to refer to anything that could help a current case.

After she finished playing housemaid, Taina went back to her room and got dressed. As she pinned up her hair and applied some makeup, humming along to a jazzy tune on the radio, she heard the front door open and close. That was fast. Maroon didn't seem like a squealer, but she could be wrong. No matter. Mr. Crabby-pants was just going to have to wait. Taina dressed herself in black slacks held up with one of her father's leather belts, a mulberry pink short sleeved blouse and her most comfortable pair of black loafers. She hurriedly ran into the living room, scanning the room for Eddie's cranky face but instead her vision was shrouded with an overly stylish red themed humanoid toon by the name of Jesse Rabbit. His handsome face was deep in thought about something as he looked over the newly organized double desk. Taina quietly cringed as she slowly began to back away, hoping Jesse hadn't heard her. She was about to go and hide in her room when he spoke.

"Hello, Miss Valiant," he said in his sultry voice. "I rang the doorbell, but no one answered, so I let myself in. I hope you don't mind."

Caught red handed! Taina cursed under her breath, as she slowly turned back around. She opened her mouth to speak but then realized what he said. Her head whipped towards the front door with a hole in where the doorknob used to be and then back at Jesse. Doorbell? They don't even have a knob. Is that his idea of a joke? It was kind of funny, but she wasn't going to utter a smile his way. "We don't have a doorbell, Mr. Rabbit, let alone a doorknob, as you can see."

Jesse, caught in his obvious lie, smirks with one hand on his hip. Taina wills herself not to make a face at how uneasy his presence is making her. Tall, redhead and unbelievably handsome with a sexy voice that could make any man or woman weak in the knees. Taina made sure not to let herself be swayed this time. So, she tried to relax her face, and body, as much as possible.

"Oh, well," he said, now grinning. "I just had to see you."

"Okay, you've seen me," That came out a lot harsher than she intended. Oh well, whatever gets the point across. "Now, come back later when my uncle is here. He's the one you'll want to see about... whatever it is you're here for."

"You know what I'm here for, doll face," purred Jesse. "You and your uncle got the wrong idea about me. I'm a pawn in this just like my daddy. Can you help me find him? I'll pay you anything." Jesse took elegant strides toward her, and Taina nearly panicked. She didn't want him to get close, God only knows what could happen if he touched her. It's bad enough they're alone together.