Chapter 3

Darshan sprayed Axe perfume on himself and sniffed. He shook his head, he wanted something nicer. He sprayed some dior and smelled it. It was exactly what he wanted so he sprayed some more and straightened his shirt. He glanced at his phone which was still on hold and frowned.
“Bhai? You are going somewhere?” Chinmay asked as he entered the room and saw Darshan standing near the mirror. “Yes, going to meet Shruti.” Darshan said. “Ooh, going on a date? But no, you are just friends, so how can it be a date?” Chinmay teased as Darshan tried to search for his watch. “Well, I haven’t asked her out, so technically…it’s not a date.” He shrugged to which Chinmay shook his head exasperatedly. He watched as Darshan moved around, getting ready with his phone clutched near his ear with one hand.
“Why are you dancing around with the phone stuck to your ear?” Chinmay asked and Darshan stopped.
“Arre, Shruti had called, but she put me on hold as she got a call from someone else.” He said and Chinmay rolled his eyes.
“Bhai, listen to me. Kaat rahi hai wo tera.” Chinmay said as Darshan fumbled to cover the phone.
“Arre! Pagal hai kya? She will hang up if she hears what you are saying.” Darshan whispered as he connected the earphones to his mobile.
“She is hanging you,” Chinmay hissed, “just last week she told you that Kabir was asking her for a second chance. It means she is considering his proposal. If she was interested in you, she wouldn’t have considered it at all.” Darshan shook his head as he tied his shoelaces. “She doesn’t think of me that way because I haven’t told her that I like her. To her, I am just a friend.” He tried to explain lamely and realized that he just proved Chinmay’s point correct. Chinmay was looking at him oddly now. “See Darshan, this is nothing but friend-zone. She is clearly using you, friend-zoning you so that you help her whenever she needs.” Darshan held up a hand, gesturing Chinmay to be quite as Shruti connected the call again.
“Hey Darshan, I will be late. Jyada nahi, bas 10 min. It’s an emergency..so sorry. But don’t worry, I will be there in 20 mins.” Shruti explained hurriedly and cut the call before Darshan could respond. Darshan closed the mouth he had opened to say something and stared the phone. “Kaat diya na?” Chinmay asked with a triumphant grin on his face and Darshan shook his head. “It’s not what you are thinking, she will be here in 20 mins.” He said as he fell back on the bed. Chinmay sat beside him and gazed up at the ceiling.
“Darshan, I know you like her… but just be careful okay? I don’t.. want you to get hurt. I know how it feels to be rejected by a crush and trust me man, those feelings suck. That helplessness of seeing her happy with someone else… and in your case, she is your best friend. One wrong step and you lose your crush AND your best friend in just one moment.” Darshan stared at Chinmay, feeling sorry for what he had gone through. “You still think about her… you are still not over her.” Darshan said. “No, I don’t think about her.” Chinmay hissed. “It was a statement, not a question.” Darshan said flatly. Chinmay remained silent as they both knew it was true. Chinmay still loved Akanksha.
20 mins later, Darshan’s phone rang. It was Shruti. “Darsh, meet me at the Hardrock café. I am almost there. I will wait for you, should I order the usual?” She asked as soon as Darshan received. “Yeah, sure. I will be there in 15 mins.” Darshan had expected to spend the evening with Shruti. The time was precious for him as they had only two semesters left. He wanted to spend as much time with her as possible because he didn’t know what future had in store for him. So he was naturally surprised as he saw another girl sitting with Shruti as their usual table in the café. He sat beside Shruti and opposite to the new girl, giving her a fake smile. He turned towards Shruti, waiting for her to explain. Shruti was texting someone on her phone and she took a few moments before she kept her phone down. “Darshan, this is Kirti. Kirti, this is Darshan, my best friend.” Darshan was a bit disappointed and annoyed when Shruti called him her best friend but he didn’t say anything as Kirti said hello to him. He just smiled and nodded awkwardly in greeting.
“I have heard a lot about you from Shruti.” Kirti said, trying to start a conversation as Darshan tried to glare at Shruti subtly.
“Ohh, yeah…same same.” He said with even more awkwardness, cursing Shruti silently as she sat there with a smug grin on her face.
“You guys should hang out you know…I am going home this Sunday for a week, Darshan will get bored, you should…you know…exchange number and chill together.” Shruti said cheerfully, but she kept glancing at Darshan to check his reaction. Darshan tried to sound interested so that Kirti wouldn’t feel insulted, but he just couldn’t keep the anger out of his voice.
“Yeah..I guess, we should….totally.” He clenched his fist. The evening passed painfully slow for Darshan and he was relieved to get out of the café after Kirti said that she was tired and wanted to go. He felt bad as he could clearly see disappointment on Kirti’s face. He had ignored her most of the time and he kept glaring at Shruti for making his do this. He knew Shruti was trying to set him up with Kirti, but he didn’t want to. There would have been no harm in going on a few dates with Kirti, but even thinking about it made Darshan feel as if he was cheating both the girls. He loved Shruti, so he just couldn’t go on date with Kirti. It would be wrong, he didn’t want to lead Kirti on and then hurt her feelings anymore than he had already done.  Darshan returned to the hostel dejected and told Chinmay to fuck off when he asked how the evening had gone.

//Sorry for the irregular chapters. I am a bit busy with preparations for Ganesh chaturthi. Btw, happy Ganesh chaturthi to you all. Please do vote and comment.//