I got out my book and opened it. There were many potions in it that I had never heard of.

"Now, I've prepared some potions for you to look at. These are things that have to know how to make after completing for N.E.W.T.s." He pointed a cauldron that was boiling a clear liquid. "Can anyone tell me what this is called?"

I peered into the cauldron, but my brain blanked. I couldn't remember what it was called.

Draco raised his hand and Professor Slughorn called on him. "It's Veritaserum. A truth potion," he said.

"Excellent, excellent," he said as he pointed at another cauldron. It had a bubbling mud-like potion inside. "And what is this?"

I racked my brain and found the answer. I raised my hand.

"Yes?"

"It's Polyjuice Potion," I answered. "You use it to transform into someone else."

Draco glared at me as if I had stolen his answer. I ignored him.

"Yes, very good!" Professor Slughorn exclaimed. "Now, what is this one?"

I peered into the cauldron and immediately recognized it. It was a very popular potion at Beauxbatons.

"Amortentia!" I called out without even raising my hand. "It's the most powerful love potion."

Professor Slughorn didn't seem to mind that I burst out the answer. "That's correct. May I ask how you recognize it?"

"The steam is spiraling," I replied. "And it has a pearl sheen, and it smells different to everyone."

"Excellent, Miss...?"

"Evangeline Hastings," I stated.

"Take twenty points for Slytherin, Miss Hastings. You did excellent work," Professor Slughorn said. "Are you related to Richard Hastings?"

I nodded. "He's my father."

Professor Slughorn nodded. "Yes, I remember him. He was excellent at potions as well."

I smiled proudly.

Draco raised his hand. "But sir, what about the question I answered?"

Slughorn looked at him. "Which question?" He seemed to have already forgotten.

"The one about Veritaserum! I answered it, not her." He pointed at me accusingly, as if I had stolen his answer. I rolled my eyes.

"Oh, yes," Professor Slughorn said. "Five points for Slytherin, Mr.."

"Malfoy," Draco said smugly.

Professor Slughorn moved to another cauldron. It was full of a gold liquid that was bubbling. "This is called Felix Felicis."

"Liquid luck," Draco muttered.

"Yes, Mr. Malfoy. It's liquid luck. Five points for Slytherin," he said. "Felix Felicis is a very difficult potion to make. It also has many side effects if you take too much."

"Have you ever taken it?" Carmen asked eagerly.

"Yes, twice," said Professor Slughorn. "When I was twenty-four and fifty-seven. In fact, this is the prize for this lesson. One bottle of Felix Felicis. Now, turn to page ten of your books. You will have an hour to make a vial of the Draught of Living Death. Start!"

I flipped open my book eagerly. A bottle of Felix Felicis would be amazing to have. One lucky day. Oh the possibilities...

I started to make the potion. It was a very difficult potion, but making a potion wasn't much different from cooking, and I was a very good cook.

"Draco, can you pass me the powdered root of asphodel?" I asked.

He sneered at me. "No."

"No?" I asked in surprise. "Why not?"

"I want that Felix Felicis," he replied.

"Well," I said. "You forgot to add Infusion of Wormwood."

He flushed. "Shut up, Hastings."

I giggled and reached over him to grab the powdered root of asphodel. Draco was desperately trying to add the Infusion of Wormwood without ruining his potion.

I had a hard time getting my Sopophorous bean juice out of the bean, but in the end, I managed to make a decent Draught of Living Death.

"Times up!" Slughorn said.

Slughorn walked around and inspected the potions. When he got to our table. He gave Carmen's a small nod. Blaise got a confused look. He gave Draco's another small nod. When he got to mine, he grinned. "This one is clearly the best, congratulations, Miss Hastings."

I grinned widely as Professor Slughorn handed me the small vial of Felix Felicis. I tucked it into my robes.

I noticed Draco was frowning at me.

"What's your problem?" I asked him.

"Nothing," he said stiffly.

"Mad that I'm better at potions than you?" I asked.

He sneered at me. "You got lucky, Hastings, that was all."

"Lucky?" I laughed. "I didn't get lucky. I'm just good at potions. Just admit it, Malfoy."

He scoffed. "I'm not admitting something that's not true."

"Oh, will you two shut up?" said Blaise. "Stop bickering like an old married couple."

I glared at him. "We're not bickering!"

Blaise rolled his eyes. "Come on, Draco, lets go harass the first years."

Draco gave me one last look before leaving the classroom with Blaise. I was really starting to dislike him.