Chapter 2

Fury gave me a folder to deliver to the Captain. I haven't seen him since he broke out of the hospital, he was recovering in. I was one of the agents sent to break the news to him if he ever woke up. He threw me into a wall.

I approach a 50's style boxing gym. My heels echoed on the floor throughout the hallway. Hollow.
I walk through the doors and see him punching the shit out of bag so much so, that it flies off the hook and onto the floor. He stops and grabs another bag and hangs it up. He begins punching again.

"Trouble sleeping?" I ask, not really.

"Slept for 70 years ma'am. I think I've had my fill." He responds hitting the bag harder.

"Then you should be out, celebrating, seeing the world." Steve stops punching and walks over to the bench, unraveling the tape off his hands. He sits down and just looks at me.

"I went under, the world was at war, I wake up, they say we won. They didn't say what we lost."

"We've made some mistakes along the way."

"You here with a mission ma'am?"

"As a matter of fact, I am." I say handing him the manila folder.

"Trying to get me back in the world?"

"Save it actually. Director Fury told me to get you."

"He couldn't come himself?" He said blinking the sweat out of his eyes.

"He's a busy man. Besides I wanted to see how you were," He looked at me in confusion, "I was there, when you woke up. I was the agent you threw across the room."

"Oh," He looked upset, "I'm sorry."

"It's okay, I would have done the same thing. It's hard readjusting to the world after being out of it for so long. Trust me I know." I let out a sarcastic laugh.

"Yeah, just sucks cause everyone I know moved on without me. Howard, Peggy. The guys in my barbershop." I froze at the mention of Howard. He mustn't have known.

"Steve," I sat down on the bench with him, "Howard is dead."

"What?"

"He was murdered. Along with his wife Maria."

"How?"

"Car accident, but they were attacked. I've seen the footage. But that's a story we can get into later. Back to the mission." I said motioning to the folder.

"Hydra's secret weapon?" He questioned after opening the folder.

"Stark fished that out of the ocean when he was looking for you. He thought what we think, the Tesseract could be the key to unlimited sustainable energy."

"Who took it from you?"

"He says his name is Loki, he's not from around here. There's a lot you need to catch up on."

"I doubt anything will surprise me at this point." He said getting up.

"Care to make a bet?" I ask.

"Sure."

"You owe me a date, for tossing me, if you're wrong. There's a package at your apartment that should fill you in," He picks up a punching bag and starts walking off, "Is there anything you can tell us about the tesseract that we should know now?"

"Should have left it in the ocean" I rolled my eyes and smirked.

"Cap, wait," I say. He turns around, "It's good to see you, up and about."

"Well ma'am-" I cut him off.

"Scarlette, Scarlette Romanoff. Ma'am makes me feel old."

"Sorry ma-, Scarlette, it feels good being up. Still trying to catch up with everything though."

"Uh, if you're ever in Brooklyn, I can help you catch up if you'd like." I smiled shyly.

"Uh." He paused.

"Peggy, I know. But I meant as a friend. You look like you could use one."

"Yeah, I could." He smiled shyly. He started to turn around.

"Steve," He turned around again, "You never told me if I'm right whether or not you're going to take me on that date."

"How about," He paused and got really shy, "Right or wrong I take you on a date anyway."

"It's a deal. I'll see you tomorrow Rogers." I said smirking as he walked away.

Awe such a gentleman.