t h i r t y e i g h t

Start from the beginning

Suddenly, the door to the boutique opens with the jingle of a bell. Hayley steps through and glances around in confusion. Her eyes move from Vera and I currently dying on the pink chaise to Penn who was currently drowning in her dress. 

She freezes with one hand still on the handle of the door, "Whoa, what's with the marshmallow, Penn?"  

Vera and I crack up laughing once more until we were literally falling on top of each other. The shop-clerk looked more than pissed off at us for all the commotion we were having. But I mean it's her fault for supplying too much champagne really. 

After we had calmed down, Penn picks up the front of her dress and steps down from the stage, looking more helpless than ever. 

"Maybe we should order that dress, V." Penn huffs as she pats the poofy skirt. I hold in my laughter, watching it bounce in the most comical way. 

"What—" I clear my throat, keeping the laughter at bay, "I'm sure there's at least one simple dress in here."

"There might be one," Jaclyn, the shop clerk explains as she steps forward, "But it's too simple for a wedding, let alone the Summer Bash." 

"Simple is what I'm all about, Jaclyn." Penn smiles sweetly at the shop-clerk who nods and heads towards the back. 

"Well at least it'll be better than that." Vera scoffs as she points a finger at Penn's dress. Hayley takes a seat in one of the dusty pink arm chairs and places her crossbody bag on the ground. 

"So, can someone explain to me why I'm here?" Hayley explains, looking lost and confused as ever. 

"Well," Penn says with the brightest smile, "Think of this as an official request to be my bridesmaid." 

Hayley's eyes widen immensely, "Bri—Bridesmaid?" 

Vera and I smile as we nod at her to answer. Hayley's face goes through a whole bunch of emotions, but mot of them were of pure content. She was just too cute. 

"What the fuck?!" She chuckles in happiness and disbelief. We all join with her as Hayley glances back at Penn, "I—I don't know what to say—" 

Penn smiles, "Just say yes." 

"Yes!" Hayley chuckles as she stands up and the two girls wrap there arms around each other, "This is honestly such an honour Penn." 

"Oh, don't worry about it. I've always wanted three bridesmaid and there's no one else I want except you three." Penn explains as they step back from each other and Penn waves her hand through the air, "And I thought it'd be cute since Chase, Sam and Levi are Noah's best men." 

Hayley nods and sits back down, "Thank you." 

I was already pouring Hayley a glass of champagne by the time Jaclyn returned with the other dress. She sets it up for Penn in her dressing room and I hand Hayley the glass chute. 

"Should we start looking for bridesmaid dresses?" I ask as I turn back to Penn who pauses just before walking into the dressing room. 

"Oh sure," Penn nods with a smile, "I trust all of you to pick them out. I don't really mind that colour as long as you three like it." 

"Great." I nod as I down back the rest of my champagne. 

"And Hayden," Penn calls as I glance up at her, "Feel free to take a look at some of the other dresses too." 

"What's that suppose to mean?" I ask and frown in confusion. 

Penn shrugs, "Oh you know, I—"