Chapter Three

Grace

Grace

I wake up and everything feels weird; it's too quiet. I look out the window and see everyone standing still, looking at my house.

I panic every time someone stares at me. It always makes me feel self-conscious and uneasy, assuming I had nasty stuff on my face or unexpectedly getting my period while passing through the hallway but this is way different.

As I pay close attention, their eyes reflected orange flashing lights that develop until they dominated inside their eyes the same time an explosion occurred downstairs that made me realized what's going on.

I felt the warmth coming from the floor to my feet as I paced towards my door and twisting the knob bare hand was a dumb move.

The metal knob was burning hot.

In pain, I screamed and pulled back my hand immediately. My body hunched as my left hand squeezes my other wrist then sat over my heels.

Tears streamed out of my eyes as my hands began trembling while I cursed at the knob. What kind of Home Alone sh*t is this!?

As I stare at my burnt palm, my attention was caught by light, blazing on the very corner of my sight.

From my hands, my eyes slid towards the east welcomed by a fire starting to spread inside my wall.

I soon stood up for the sake of my life, yanked my thick face towel, and uses it to cover my hands as gloves to lessen the heat conducted throughout the knob.

It worked, but by the time I got out, the hallway was barely recognizable.

You gotta be kidding me. I brunt my hand for THIS!!!!????

Debris of wood started falling from the ceiling and wallpaper on either wall can no longer be seen including Mom's room whose already covered in fire.

Her room was completely burned down. Nothing more to see except this dark oak drawer with a framed image of Mom and I whose wearing red, velvet gown back when - we still have Dad.

As the fire crawls up, its glass cracked then soon shattered. The image immediately burned into nothing the first second the furious, violent flames reach.

I pulled back the door and slowly backs away but panicked noticing my bed was on fire.

It was getting out of hand, similar to what's happening inside the hallway.

With the smoke inside the room, my cough worsens.

I unwrapped the same towel I used earlier, covers my nose and mouth to lessen the smoke entering inside my lungs, then quickly ran straight to the window, planning to jump out but to my surprise - it won't slide up.

I checked the lever but it wasn't locked

I glance through the window and observed but saw nothing more than their bodies still inactive except Mom, whose emotionless face turn sinister.