xxi. morning boat rides

Start from the beginning

JJ laughed at Juliet's panicked expression. "It's fine."

"You go, I'll catch up with you. I've just got to grab my phone." Juliet then told JJ, motioning towards the kitchen where she assumed her mother and Paul were. She didn't want JJ following after her and bumping into them. When Juliet didn't see JJ attempting to move, she spoke again. "Or stay there."

"Don't want anyone to see me?" JJ laughed, noticing she was trying to get him to wait outside for her and not follow her into the kitchen.

"Paul is home. They're still mad about Midsummers." Juliet told him, averting her eyes to the wall behind JJ. Paul was still mad at her for leaving with her friends, especially after the commotion JJ had caused. Juliet had no idea what Paul would say to JJ if he saw him.

JJ pursed his lips and nodded, he completely understood but it still hurt a little knowing Juliet was trying to hide him from her parents. She'd never been like that before. "Right. I'll wait here." He forced out a smile before Juliet turned around and rushed into the kitchen to grab her phone. She was out seconds later with a smile on her face and her phone in hand.

"Let's go."

JJ and Juliet were on the boat less than a minute later, sitting in the sun as John B drove them into the marsh. Sarah stayed by John B's side till they got to a place that was good enough to stop. It was a little awkward between the four, JJ and Juliet didn't know exactly how to talk to Sarah so the two decided to sit out on the front of the boat together until John B could join them. JJ was shirtless as he laid across the front of the boat, soaking in the sun and Juliet was sitting beside him, her dress discarded as she rested her head against the bar that was all around the edge of the boat, her eyes closed. The two weren't talking, just enjoying the sun and hadn't moved till John B stopped the boat.

The two boys had then left the girls alone on the boat together to go for a swim, John B not caring about getting his cast wet. Juliet stayed were she was, listening to the boys messing around in the water. Sarah had mirrored Juliet, sitting on the other side opposite her. Juliet had heard Sarah sit down so she lifted her head up and opened her eyes, sending Sarah a smile. "This is nice." Juliet said, not having anything else to say to the girl.

Sarah almost scoffed. "You don't have to pretend to like me, you know. Or pretend to be friends with me." Sarah told her, having the feeling that Juliet didn't want to be spending any time with her and that she was just starting a conversation for John B's sake. "I know you don't like me." Sarah wasn't unaware of Juliet's feelings, Juliet had never made Sarah think that she did like her. All her actions were definitely clear to Sarah that she wasn't fond of her.

"Who said I didn't like you?" Juliet laughed. She didn't think her feelings were that obvious and she didn't think it was right to say she didn't like Sarah, she didn't particularly know her very well.

"I can just tell. You've never liked me." Sarah said.

"I never liked your boyfriend or your brother. There's a difference." Juliet corrected her, shaking her head as she reached beside her for the half empty beer bottle. "The only reason I wasn't particularly fond of you was because whenever Topper, or even your brother, made comments towards me, you never even asked them to stop. You just sat there and let them." Topper and Rafe liked tormenting Juliet, making comments that made her scowl, that made her snap back at them and that made her angry. And Sarah didn't seem to think that maybe she should've said something to either of them when she saw how much it hurt Juliet sometimes.