Valery - Chapter 2

Start from the beginning

“Well to put it simply, I’m a vampire I need to satisfy my vampire needs and I need to feed and not in the food way.” I give him a knowing look.

For a brief moment Blake stares into space and touches his neck, he’s probably reminiscing his time with my mom. He snaps back to life and goes into thinking mode, “I’ll get the staff to organise a two bar fridges for you and install them in here. And I’ll send Angel to Stanley. He’s a vampire and funny enough works at the Blood Bank.”

I shudder at the thought, bag blood. Eww! Well it’s better than getting starved to death or killing one of the staff members. “Wait, Angel knows I’m a vampire?”

“Val, he is my best friend and was way before I even knew your mother. He knows just about everything about me.” I simply nod and drop the subject. This Angel guy still freaks me out, even though I haven’t met him yet. I shrug, “So did you want me in the boardroom now since I pulled you out or do you want me to wait?”

“Do you want Angel to go now to get you supplies or can you hold on for twenty minutes while I introduce you to him and discuss other things?” I sigh and agree.

We walk down the hall to the conference room, “I hope you have windows open.” Blake laughs as we enter the conference room; I’m greeted with a large room with white walls and a mahogany conference table with matching and very comfortable looking chairs. There are many people in the room including Georgette at one end of the table. Three seats at that end are empty; we walk towards them and take a seat, “Everyone this is Valery, my daughter.” Shocked and surprised faces meet me; everyone in the room is mortal. Damn.

I awkwardly wave as Blake continues with the introductions, “You know Georgette. Beside her are Catherine, Roland, Jonathan, Kyle and Julie. At the other end of the table is Vice President of Blake International Carlos Santiago, and then on his left are Wendy, Kate, Franco, Steven, Robert and Charlotte; Angel will be joining us shortly.”

They begin their meeting about business and I automatically zone out. All I understand is “Blake International,” when everyone is quiet for a moment I ask, “Sorry this might sound stupid but what exactly is Blake International?”

Surprisingly no one laughs.

Carlos answers me “We are an international security company. We specialise in private security for high profile people and organisations. Bodyguards or Teams we can organise. We have facilities on every continent, many high profile clients and almost 10,000 guards as well as many in training.” I nod as they continue their meeting.

I rise from my seat and walk over to the open window, the beating of hearts and smell of fourteen humans in one is driving me insane.

A knock on the door breaks my concentration, damn I’m hungry. I return to my seat and try not to breathe. The door opens to a familiar face, “Valery this Angel Basara, my business partner and personal guard.”

Angel’s ice blue eyes recognise me straight away, “I believe we’ve met before,” I say.

I can feel the confusion radiating off Blake, “Nice to meet you again, Valery.” Angel’s smooth voice bounces around as he glides to his seat on right of Blake. He gives Blake the ‘I’ll explain later’ look and asks what he missed.

For the next half hour the burning in my throat and brain become worse, I sit by the window for the rest of meeting trying to concentrate on anything but blood and Angel. The last time I saw him was in Egypt, he was working as one of the guards there. Well I know one of B.I’s clients; he was there for my mother’s last month alive, he was also the only guard got away in the group I killed. We both left that battle broken and bloody. I’m still convinced he isn’t just human; his scent is different from everyone else’s. But not vamp.