Chapter Seven: Searching for Lolita

She wrapped her arms around her petite figure while quickening her steps across the campus.
It was Friday evening and Eve managed to accomplish her first week of college. Although it was a busy week, Eve felt her determination to succeed only grow.

She enjoyed the freedom and knowledge that came with college life. Eve recalled speaking with her mother over the phone earlier, reassuring her that she was adjusting well at Bradford.

Eve had attended all of her classes on time. Made sure all assignments were turned in as well.

She now made her way to the library, in order to obtain the books that Professor Archibald requested. At the thought of her English Professor, her stomach fluttered. Eve was disappointed when he had canceled their Thursday class. She had been looking forward to see him again since Tuesday.

It was odd to her that a professor would cancel a class during the first week of school. But Eve quickly scolded herself, Professor Archibald could of had an emergency and it wasn't fair for her to judge.

Upon entering the library, Eve sighed thankfully as the warmth hit her. She had no idea how chilly Massachusetts could get in September, especially during the evening.

Admiring  the library and all of its grandness, Eve felt a sense of peace being surrounded by so many books. Shelves reached as high as the ceilings and there were numerous levels. The smell of oak and paper filled her nostrils and Eve couldn't help but smile contently.

She was in her element.

If she hadn't promised Julia and Kate she would meet them for dinner, Eve would have indulged in a bit of reading. But one look at the time, caused Eve to come back to earth.

Pulling the list of books out of her pocket, she immediately went in search of each of them. It wasn't too difficult finding most of the books. Eve knew her way around a library and was pleased when finding all the books were in their designated locations.

After a half hour she felt her phone vibrate in her pocket, she realized it was almost time for her to meet with Kate and Julia.

Julia had texted her asking if they should wait for her or meet her at the restaurant. Quickly texting Julia back, saying she would meet them at the restaurant, Eve shoved her phone back into her pocket before looking at the last book on the list.

'Lolita.'

Eve felt a blush creep to her cheeks. Of course she knew the story of Lolita. She was embarrassed to say that it was one of her favorite novels.

She also thought of what it would be like to read this book in class with Professor Archibald. And at the thought she felt her stomach do flips.

She wondered, does Professor Archibald like the story of Lolita too? Not only because it was written so eloquently, but the actual storyline of and older man infatuated with a much younger girl.

Shaking her head at her silly thoughts, Eve went in search of the book. Shifting through the large mahogany books shelves, she finally came to the aisle where the book should be.

Eve noticed there was a man standing by one of the shelves in the aisle. He stood tall and wore an all black suit, matching his jet black colored hair that had a few obvious gray strands.

As he looked down at a book in his hands, Eve admired him. His side profile was extraordinary. Jaw was strong and sharp, twitching every so often.

A piece of hair hung over his face slightly, whereas the rest of his hair was combed back with perfection. He was so engrossed in the book he read, he didn't seem to notice her checking him out.