The Girl in the Pond (Part II)

"What's the context of the find?" you asked Agent Rogers as you both walked down the grassy hill, reading the names on the rows of white marble headstones.

"Routine landscaping," Steve replied, looking down at his notepad. "Dropped a load in the local pond, one of the workmen thought he saw something."

You recognized the emblem on the side of the black windowless van that was parked a few yards away from the pond; it was the Smithsonian Medico-Legal Lab emblem. The passenger door opened and a young man hopped out; duffle bag in one hand and a camera in the other.

Recognizing him immediately, you waved him over. "Hi Peter."

Peter greeted you with a hug, ""This eco-warrior look works for you. Very action oriented."

"Thanks." you replied, looking down at your outfit. "Agent Rogers, you remember my assistant Peter Parker?"

"Of course," Agent Rogers answered, sticking out his right hand. "Great to see you again kid."

"How was Guatemala? Dig up lots of massacred victims? Learn a thing or two about machete strikes?" Peter asked you, completely ignoring Steve, who made a face at Peter's rude gesture.

You cleared your throat and Peter quickly realized his mistake. "Sorry," he muttered, taking Agent Rogers' hand to give it a firm shake. "Good to see you again Agent." 

"Hey Pete, I need water samples and temperature readings from the pond," you ordered.

"Right away doc."  He spun on his heel, quickly turning the other way, leaving you alone with Agent Rogers.

"Kid's got no sense of discretion. Typical Squint..." Steve said, as they reached the river bank.

"Squint?" you asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Ah you know, when cops get stuck, we bring in people like you. You know? Squints. You know, you squint at things," Steve explained with a shit-eating grin. "Like this," he demonstrated for you.

"Oh, you mean people with very high IQ's and basic reasoning skills?" You gave him a smart-ass answer.

His smile dropped, giving you a look as if he had just tucked his tail between his legs. "Yeah."

"So what exactly am I supposed to be squinting at?" you asked, staring at a monitor while standing in the middle of a small boat, along with Agent Rogers, in the middle of the pond.

Steve dropped a camera attached to a cable into the pond. "Oh, you know, it's like pornography," Steve said as he continued to lower the camera. "You'll know it when you see it."

"Like you would know," you snarked, shooting your partner a wink.

His cheeks flushed pink. "Shut up Bones."

You chuckled to yourself then turned your head to look back at the screen where you saw what looked to be a skeleton wrapped around in wire.

"Oh yeah, this is a crime scene," you called out to Steve. "Call in the divers and bring the body up to land," you ordered.

 "Call in the divers and bring the body up to land," you ordered