the one with the peverells

“Death wants you to be
terrified. But the scariest
thing is waiting for
Death.”

THE COMPARTMENT IN Hogwarts Express was jam-packed. It could only provide assembly for six people. As such, Hermione, Harry and Ron were seated opposite to me, Draco and Pansy. Theo was grumpily sitting on the floor by the door, which was magicked shut, and Blaise just sat on the counter towards the window.

"Dumbledore left you his wand?" Hermione was speaking in a hushed whisper, afraid of being overheard.

"Yes, Granger," Draco snapped. "For the millionth time, yes." He held the wand up, in clear view. It made all the hair on my back stand. It was long, fifteen inches, with little spheres etched through its surface on an otherwise smooth, unadorned shaft and a handle formed from two conjoined spheres. The core was Thestral Hair Core, and with a barely concealed shiver I realized what Mr.Ollivander had meant when he asked me to be careful with my own wand when he checked it before the Triwizard Tournament.

"What?" Hermione asked me quietly.

"My core and my wood, is the same as the Elder Wand's," I said. "This wand is a really bad omen."

"Yes," Ron said. "It's a part of the Deathly Hallows isn't it? Where Death offers three brothers a gift each. The eldest chose the most powerful wand."

"Yes," Blaise said quietly. "Do any of you know how wands work?"

"They perform magic," Harry said stupidly.

"Yes, of course Potter," Blaise's eyes twitched. "But how?"

We stared at him.

"It absorbs the magic from the witch of wizard using it. It absorbs the power, and channels it to magic. Therefore, most wands are buried with their owners when they die, because if they pass it on, the next owner possesses a wand already infiltrated with someone else's magic. In other words, a stronger wand. This," he said pointing to the Elder Wand in Draco's hand, "This is the strongest wand because it was never buried with the owner. It is hundreds of years of history and magic-dark and light within it. That is why it's the strongest wand."

"The bloody trail of the Elder Wand is splattered across the pages of Wizarding history," Theo said darkly. "We all know that it's also called the Wand of Destiny- "

"Or the Deathstick," Pansy said. Harry stared blankly. Pansy blinked. "Do you not know Potter?"

"I was raised by ignorant muggles," he said. "I have no idea what any of you are talking about."

"Excuse me?" Theo sputtered. "Have you not read the Tales of Beedle the Bard?"

"No. . .?" Harry said cautiously.

"Oh, my Goodness Potter!" Theo flailed his arm, that slapped unceremoniously against the chairs, hurting him.

"Well, listen then," Blaise spoke quietly, ignoring Theo's profanities. "There was a River that no one was supposed to be able to cross. These three brothers, The Peverell brothers, came across and easily conjured a bridge over the River to cross it. Half way through, a hooded figure stopped them," he said. "It was Death. He felt cheated that they didn't die in the River. So he schemed against them silently while pretending to offer them congratulations and a gift each. The eldest brother, Antioch Peverell was an agressive man. He wanted a wand that would help him succeed at whatever he did. But, remember, Death was scheming. He gave him the Elder Wand but didn't warn him the consequences. One night, Antioch used the wand and won a duel, and drunkenly boasted about it to people around him. That very night, he was murdered and the wand was taken away."