Chapter 5

That had been days ago, Tommy realized with a frown, his hands slowing down in the motion.

He has been blind for close to five days now. Tommy restlessly dug at the dirt in the garden next to his house. The effects still hadn't lessened and he was getting anxious. When is it going to go? He angrily rips out the plant in front of him. He refuses to believe this was going to last longer. It just can't! He had been practically been confined for the past days!

"Hey Tommy, if you continue like that we won't have any weeds yes, but no flowers either." Deo's joking tone snaps him out of his daze. His friend's rather flat voice was close to him. Earlier today Deo had suggested gardening to release his restless energy.

He spoke sharply "It's not as though I can tell."

A sigh echoed from his right and before he felt Deo let himself to the ground next to him, close enough for Tommy to feel him, but far enough not to be invasive.

"This isn't working for you is it?" Tommy kind of wishes he was stuck with someone a bit less perceptive.

"I just want things to go back to normal." Tommy turned his head away from Deo, pushing back borrowed sunglasses and slouching.

A thoughtful hum.

"I know. We're just trying to ease you back in." Deo agreed, patting his shoulder amicably.

"I don't think it's working." Tommy refuses to let the tears drop, he's cried enough damn it!

"Just because you can't ... notice the progress, doesn't mean it ain't happening." Shuffling " You couldn't walk alone a few days ago."

Tommy nods reluctantly. " I guess..."

"You know what? How about you go chop in the woods next to our bay..." Deo suggests.

Tommy startles "What?"

"Yeah, I'm sure you can. It's close, you've done it a thousand times. I'll put myself as speed dial, so you can contact me."

"Are you sure?" Again, he had to be certain he wasn't getting pranked.

"I wouldn't have suggested it if I wasn't."

"Can I hug you?" This wasn't new for the duo. Tommy had suddenly gotten much clingier, probably as a way to compensate on the lack of sight. Sadly it was hard for him to initiate the contact as he couldn't aim his arms, so he had to ask Deo before hugging him. They hugged, Tommy smiling in his arms.

A few minutes later, he was walking through the forest, a hop in his step. Sure, not being able to look at the sights around him was depressing, but just being surrounded by nature helped brighten his mood. Picking a solid tree, and mindful to remember the way back, he set to chopping.

He had only gotten through perhaps five trees when he felt the raindrop fall on his nose. Frowning, he realized it was raining. Wonderful. A few more drops, and after what feels like buckets, Tommy amends his previous sentence. Never mind rain, it was pouring. He quickly hides underneath a large oak tree.

Biting his lip, he tried to figure out how to solve this issue. He was way too far away from his base to go back there without getting completely damp (sure he might've perhaps gone further then he was supposed to, but Deo wouldn't check.). Never mind the fact his way back probably felt very different from when he came, rendering him effectively lost.

When all hope seemed lost, a miracle happened. He could hear footsteps through the downpour running in his general direction. Then, with little to no warning, a hand grabbed his and tugged him towards the person.