The Talking Wall

It wasn't until an hour later when the car approached a large residential gate that Alv broke the silence by mumbling to himself as he slipped out of the car to punch in the access code.

I had been mentally and emotionally numb for the past hour, still trying to comprehend the idea that my mate was a dog. It didn't seem like Dom was doing much better as he seldomly tore his eyes way from the window throughout the entire drive. 

I'm yours. As soon as Dom said those words I knew they were true. Though I had been confused and angry at the events of this night, I never felt like I was truly in danger around Dom. Perhaps underlying need to not kill my mate was what didn't allow me to rip his head off. That didn't mean I couldn't harm him in retribution for manhandling me. There was no saving him for that. 

"Where are we?" Curiosity finally got the better of me as the car slowly rolled forward through the opening gates. My sense of direction past the Valley was almost non-existent. All I recognized from the winding road up the mountain was that it seemed like we were somewhere in Angeles National Forest. 

Seeing Dom's pointed silence, Jordyn volunteered information, "This is where we stay when we come down to L.A. I know, it's a bit far from the city, but it's best to stay away from the bl-" He abruptly cut himself off with a wince. "Um, it's quieter up here."

The house we had parked in front of looked like a large cabin complete with a noticeable fire and  log exterior. It wasn't something that I would purposefully stay in, but it was nice. Quaint even.

"Home sweet vacation home," Alv agreed leaning into the window of the parked car. 

Vacation home? So it seems these mutts were in the city more often than I had known. I wonder if Father knew about this den nestled in the forest. 

As soon as we were all out of the car, Dom strode away into the house without waiting for the rest of us. A few of the lights in the house were already on, making me wonder if there was anyone already inside.

"I'll meet you guys inside, need to go check up on something first." Alv excused himself before jogging behind the house towards his unnamed chore.

Then there were two. 

An hour and a half ago, I would have taken this opportunity to run but that was before I realized that Dom was my mate. I had already decided to wait the silence out to gain more insight on our compatibility. It would be a waste to throw away this bond without at least giving it a try first. 

Jordyn motioned me to follow him as he walked up the stone stairs. "Careful, some of the steps are a bit uneven. Aunt A  refuses to fix them because it gives them 'charm'"

"Aunt A?" I asked.

Jordyn scratched his head while holding open the door for me. "Yeah...she's Dom's mom. Super sweet, great sense of humor, definitely a mama bear but not one of those crazy in-laws that you see on T.V. She's great, I promise." 

I give him a skeptical look. If she raised the brut I get to call mate, then I'm not sure how great she can be. 

Jordyn noticed my reaction and gave me a knowing smile. "Here let's get you something in the kitchen to make up for those tacos."

I chuckled. At least I knew one of them was a man of their word. "Thanks."

"Of course, no problemo." He waved me over to the counter while he rummaged through the cabinets. "It's the least I can do after....well you know."

After a few moments, he pulled a few options from the refrigerator and laid them out in front of me. "So, I'm not much of a cook but we have leftovers from earlier. We got tortilla, the Spanish version, of course, some Spaghetti, and...." He winced as he opened the last container, "Never mind actually, that's all we got. Unless you want some chips or cereal."