4

"Karma, could you-"

"No." Karma dismissed her question before Nagisa could even finish saying it, and with a leaden finality. 

Nagisa was starting to get annoyed at how Karma wasn't even trying to make it seem like they had a relationship. They were just fine a few week ago, what changed that? Nagisa had almost begun to believe that there was hope, but this just came crashing right at her. Why was Karma trying so hard to distance herself from Nagisa?

"But you didn't even-" Karma shot a look at her, and Nagisa dropped the subject, " fine ."

With a huge sigh, she left Karma to her own devices, her mind no less chaotic than a turbulent storm. They barely had any time to interact with each other, being occupied with acting and all currently but the first time they did after so long and Karma shot her down- just like that? 

Maybe today was a bad day, Nagisa tried to convince herself, after all some moodiness didn't mean Karma suddenly didn't want to be near her at all. Though she said that to herself, there was no questioning the hurt she felt when Karma refused to talk. Nagisa could always try next time.

It was a slow realization but Nagisa slowly began to catch on with the fact that Karma was actually actively avoiding her. What Nagisa thought was a bad day turned into a series of bad days because Karma wouldn't just respond to her. It was honestly getting somewhat frustrating at this point, but really, Nagisa couldn't act it out. 

Maybe it was the kiss, her mind sent a chilling thought at her, freezing her right to the bones, what if Karma didn't want to be kissed like that? Even though there was some sort of unspoken mutual agreement about acting like a couple… Nagisa stilled when she realized that they never really had talked about kissing or things like that. Except that one time Karma brought it up as 'practice' they never really discussed what was okay and what was not.

It was definitely that, Nagisa decided weakly, something in her gut feeling entirely wrong when she realized what that meant. This would be the perfect time to drop their act, after all, Karma's reputation had already been cleared of the stain. Karma wouldn't agree to talk with her at all- did that mean their relationship, however fake it might be, was coming to an end?

As much as the thought terrified her, the first thing that leapt on her mind was 'no'. Like she couldn't accept the fact that they'd have to split up. But it was what it was, the act, this entire moment, all those shared looks and smiles, was leading to this day, wasn't it? Well, Nagisa thought in defeat, it wasn't like she could keep Karma or something like that. This was bound to happen. It was her fault for getting too attached.

Weirdly enough, the situation reminded Nagisa of the first time they met. 

~

Nagisa was just starting her career as an aspiring actress (a rising name in the higher echelons of the industry, at least), recently having been scouted by a director. It was a scary turn of events- almost like being chosen as a princess for a kingdom when all she knew was a life of a peasant. But she had adapted, slowly but surely and found herself being invited to an event.