Arguments

tw//sensual

***

Summary: While you're having a private evening with your boyfriend, Julian, you realize that something is weighing on his mind during your much awaited alone time. When you probe, he reluctantly admits that his parents are on the station.

***

"... Anyways, the Cardassian settlement didn't respond. So then, Sisko asked me to work on filtering out the the subspace distortion from that play so that we could understand what the hell he was talking about. I mean, how ridiculous is it? But I don't question orders, so I spent my afternoon doing that..." I sighed and looked up at Julian, before realizing he wasn't even looking at me. He pushed the food around on his plate absentmindedly and didn't respond, as though he couldn't hear me.

"So... how was your day?" I asked, putting down my fork. Suddenly he looked up as though surprised.

"Fine—fine..." he said, before looking back down at his plate and continuing to push his dinner back and forth across the surface. I frowned.

"Did... anything of note happen in sickbay?" I asked, trying to pull it out of him. It took him a moment before he realized I'd asked him a question.

"Oh, um, not really," he murmured. I furrowed my brow concernedly. I'd been looking forward to spending some time with him for weeks, but now he kept getting distracted. He wasn't eating, either. Throughout the course of the meal I'd only seen him take two bites of dinner.

"Julian..." I said softly. I reached out my hand and nudged his shin with my toe. He looked at me curiously before he realized that I had my hand out. A slow, weak smile came to his face and he put down his fork, joining our hands.

"Sorry," he said quietly. "I recognize I'm not being a very good conversationalist."

"No, you're not," I teased him, but I quickly took up a more serious demeanor. "What's wrong? The last time I remember you being this disinterested in conversation was... probably the Dominion War."

"Mm," he mumbled, before realizing he was doing it again and shaking his head. "It's... well it's nothing really."

"Can you tell me about it anyway?" I asked softly. Clearly it was weighing on him.

"Well, it's just..." Julian bit his lip and and then sighed, shaking his head. "My... parents. My parents are on the station. Visiting."

"Your parents?" I asked, shocked. We were so isolated in our little corner of space, I'd honestly never even thought about the fact that Julian had parents. "I should meet them."

"No!" he said quickly, as if the very thought made him nervous, and then he deflated. "No... I don't think I want you to. Not now, at least."

"Do you think that they won't like me?" I asked, concerned. I didn't see why, but I was sure I could punch up the charm.

"It's not that either," he sighed, then smiled sardonically at me. "More that you won't like them."

"Oh..." I murmured. "Then... did something happen between you? Why are you so upset?"

"I... well. To be honest with you, I got into a fight with my father," he sighed, but the way he said it made it sound like it was a slight inconvenience rather than something serious. "It's so complicated... you wouldn't want to hear about it."

"That's not true," I said quickly. I'd always been interested in helping Julian work through his problems. "... Go on. Please." Julian opened his mouth to decline again, but when he looked in my eyes, he reluctantly nodded.