Chapter 5

Alexa Ford was a student as Saint Sovereign the next day.

            Grim would be upset that I had kept my old name from Ireland, but I hadn't felt like I'd used it to its full extent quite yet. No doubt he would raise a fuss about it next time we met, but for now, I was still little Lexi, only my appearance drastically altered.

            I stood in front of the full-body mirror in the master bedroom of my new house, trying on different faces until I found one that suited the Avery of London. I'd already decided that I was going with curly brown hair that fell halfway down my back, but I couldn't decide what shade of grey I wanted for my eyes, or whether I should have freckles or not. Today was my first day of high school, and I wanted it to be perfect. I hadn't been a student in a long time. In fact, I couldn't remember the last time that I'd ever been to school.

            Every kid's dream, I know, but try having lessons with Grim one day. You'll think high school's the playground from kindergarten.

            Trying not to waste any more time on my face, I stuck with pale grey eyes and freckles that contrasted nicely with my alabaster skin. Turning away from the mirror, I went to the bed, where my uniform was laid out nicely, not a wrinkle in sight. I dressed quickly, running a little late for my standards.

            I ran out the door and slipped into my black Mercedes, backing out of the driveway and speeding to the school like a sociopath. I probably broke three different laws in that five minutes, but I didn't care.

            It was hard for me to lie to myself and say that I wasn't excited. I kind of was. This would be a new experience for me, getting out in the middle of a whole school of people my age. Now, I wasn't under any illusion that I could befriend any of them, but it still felt good to know that I wouldn't be all alone for a while.

            Unless things started turning into a Giovanna situation again. Then I'd have to drop out for good. If there was one thing I had to repeat to myself that entire day, it was a reminder not to get attached to anybody I met. Not under any circumstances.

            I picked a spot farthest away from the school, stowing my car in a parking space that barely had lines to it anymore. I checked my backpack, unzipped in the shotgun seat, and made sure that I had everything. Public school was not my forte, but preparation was. It appeared that I had everything and was ready to go, so I braced myself for impact and stepped out of the car.

            Kids swarmed around me, voices buzzing like insects, a sea of white and navy blue uniforms. Some clusters of girls had their skirts hoisted all the way up to their waists and pounds of makeup, most of them intermixed with the jocks. I could recognize them from their noise.

            It only took thirty seconds for somebody to notice me.

            "Hey, I haven't seen you around before," a boy says, coming up to me and blocking my path. He had a hungry look in his dark eyes that I didn't like.

            "I expect you haven't," I replied coldly, not happy to have been interrupted.

            "So new girl, then?" He didn't give up, and stepped in front of me a second time when I tried to pass. He gave me a bright smile, but it didn't have me interested at all.

            I was going to have to hurt him if he staying in my way much longer.

            "Yes," I said, taking a step forward. He did not move back.

            "Ah. In that case, my name is Cody." Cody held out a hand, but when I didn't shake, he let it drop back down to his side.

            "My name is Alexa. Please move."