Chapter 10 part 2

Magsimula sa umpisa

“What is an assassin doing in New Hope?” he asked at last. Bane said nothing, but held up the man's limp hand, exposing his palm.

“The king's mark?” The king's seal, two crossed swords over a circle representing the sun, had been branded into the assassin’s skin.

“He was after you, specifically.” Having finished relieving the body of weapons, Bane stood back and studied the surrounding area. Jaob glanced around nervously; did Bane sense more attackers lurking behind the fireweed?

“How did he find New Hope? For that matter, why was he seeking me? The king believes I am dead.”

“You used your powers when we rescued the girl.”

He withheld a groan. Apparently the king could not only track a power being used, but knew which one, as well. Yes, he had used his wind to save the girl, but he may have chosen not to if he had thought the consequences would be so far-reaching.

A sudden thought stabbed fear through him. “Are you saying that Theron knows where New Hope is?”

Bane considered.

“Not likely, unless this assassin was able to communicate it to him before his demise.”

“Are you certain?”

Bane studied him calmly. He didn't look worried. “If Theron had known about New Hope, he would have sent an army, not a singular man.”

Jaob considered his words. That was likely true, the king did nothing in small measures.

“I will dispose of the body,” Bane offered.

Also a good idea; he imagined the reaction of the next Magi to tend to the garden coming across such a grisly sight.

He sighed deeply. It may have been a poor end to the evening, but it could have been much worse.

Jaob watched Bane as he lifted the body and moved toward the unused wasteland. He had misjudged, he decided. Bane may not follow each order exactly, but the man was loyal. He would not doubt that again.

***

Three days passed in relative peace, yet Jaob found himself growing in his paranoia. If one assassin found New Hope, then other assassins could also find New Hope. Suddenly, behind every tent, or plant, or stump, a deadly blade lurked. His nights fared little better, worry of traitors filled his mind, denying him sleep, drawing him back repeatedly to the fact that the assassin had no weapon which could have produced the cuts on the poles.

And what if the two events were related? A traitor and an assassin working together? As unlikely as it seemed for any Magi to work with a non-Magi, a screb, the pattern of events that night did suggest they were connected somehow.