2x09 the road trip

takes place after jake and amy return from the drop off

summary: when they get back to the precinct they have to explain what happened at the hotel

They were finally back.

Jake had pulled into one of the front parking spots in front of the precinct building. The car ride had been silent for the most part, besides him asking Amy if she was okay about halfway through.

It still surprised him how much of his blue drink that she chugged after offering it to her. She's the one that says it's terrible for him and often tries to replace it with a bottle of water to him instead.

He can't help but think that this was all his fault. Sure she was already planning on breaking up with Teddy but knowing Amy, anytime something doesn't go how she planned, she turns into a wreck.

Both detectives exited the car and walked to the trunk to get Amy's bag out.

"Here," Jake said, handing her the bag and shutting the trunk.

"Thanks," she replied with the same broken tone from earlier.

Jake's heart broke a little hearing how upset she was from the whole thing. Even though he had made up with Sophia, he still cared for her as a good friend.

Unfortunately for them, they still had shift today.

Jake really wanted to just say Go home, I'll tell the Captain you're not feeling well and I'll do your paperwork.

It was the least he could do after ruining one of her relationships.

But he knew she would retort. She would say something along the lines of "I'm fine," and then go on about how paperwork is fun and his is always messy.

They walked inside the building, greeting the first floor as they walk to the elevator silently. Jake couldn't help but watch her out of the corner of his eye taking some deep breaths as if she was mentally preparing herself for work.

The elevator doors dinged open and Amy immediately walked out, heading straight for her desk. Jake sighed, feeling a bit defeated.

He looked into the bullpen noticing that Charles hadn't arrived yet, which he was beyond grateful for. The last thing him and especially Amy needed was Charles asking how "romantic" their stay was and if anything happened between the two.

Rosa walked over to her desk, stopping to greet Jake on the way.

"What's up with?" She asked, motioning her head towards Amy.

Jake just sighed and shook his head, to which Rosa nodded slowly and sat down in her chair.

Jake went to the break room to make coffee, hoping to avoid his desk that was opposite of Amy's until after their morning briefing when they were both distracted with cases.

Charles arrived a few minutes later but was too distracted with the microwave to pester the two about their trip.

"Briefing room, five minutes," Terry announced to the precinct.

Once it was time for the morning briefing, Jake stumbled into the small room. He saw Amy sitting at the front right table. Instead of sitting next to her like he had gotten into the habit of doing, he headed towards the table behind the detective.

It wasn't completely out of the usual, but the subtle glance they both gave each other during the interaction was enough to catch Terry's attention.

Their briefing went by pretty quickly, there were no new cases so they just caught up with their open ones.

"Dismissed," Terry said, causing all the detectives and officers to stand up and file out of the room.

"Wait, you two stay here," he said, stopping the two detectives from leaving.

Rosa, Charles, and Gina were all sat towards the back of the room, meaning they were blocked too, but they didn't mind. They were hoping to find the reasoning behind their sudden unusual behavior.

"What happened during that trip? You're not speaking, Santiago looks dead inside, and Peralta you're avoiding her," Terry asked strictly.

"I bet he stole her favorite pen and then lost it," Gina called from the back of the room.

"You know, you guys don't have to be here," Jake said, turning around.

"Wouldn't miss it for the world," Rosa responded, staying glued to her seat.

Jake rolled his eyes slightly and turned back around.

"Okay fine, you know how I invited Sophia to come stay with me on this trip?"

"Yeah," Terry nodded.

"Well, I thought I would have Teddy surprise Amy by meeting us up there but, it turned out that she wanted to break up with him."

A chorus of "oohs" were heard from the three in the back of the room.

"Jake, you poured blue soda all over her life!" Terry yelled.

"Funny, that's what she said too," Jake said quietly but loud enough for Amy to hear him and playfully smack him in the arm.

"So then what happened?"

"Well, we were at dinner and Amy broke up with him. Then he said that it was my fault they were breaking up because...itoldamyilikedherbeforeiwentundercover."

"You did what?!" Charles shouted from the back.

"Again, you don't have to be here," Amy said turning around only to be dismissed by Gina shushing her.

"Then Amy told me she was deeply in love with me," Jake continued, earning another punch from Amy.

"She said she liked me back." Jake could hear the three high-fiving in the back.

"But we said it was all in the past so I made up with Sophia, who was not happy."

"Obviously," Terry said.

"Uncalled for Tearbear. And Teddy left."

"So why are you avoiding her?"

"Because, it's kinda my fault they broke up and she's mad at me."

Amy turned to face Jake, a shocked expression on her face.

"What? I'm not mad."

Jake frowned.

"Then why were you silent in the car and haven't spoken a word since we've been back?"

"Uh I don't know, maybe because I just broke up with my boyfriend that I've been dating for a while."

"We should probably leave," Rosa said quietly, the other two agreeing and standing up to leave the room, Terry following.

"So you don't blame me for all the stuff that happened?" Jake asks in a serious tone.

"No, you were just trying to be nice. We had more problems than you saying you liked me."

"So we're good?"

"Yeah, we're good."

Jake turns to leave but not before saying something nice, which is out of the ordinary for him.

"Listen, I know breakups suck. So if you need anything, you can call me. I'm sure Sophia will understand."

Amy nodded and gave him a small smile.

"Thanks Jake.