Chapter Twenty-Six: Home Sweet Home

Start from the beginning

♥︎

The friends continue to chat until it gets late and visiting hours are over. Hopper is whisked away in a patrol car, most likely being taken to the lab to sign a Non-Disclosure Agreement. And the two, no longer lost, children get a peaceful nights sleep, something they both more than deserve. And before they know it, it's Christmas Eve.

♥︎

Snow falls outside of the Wheeler's house which is decorated in Christmas lights and wreaths. The family is clearly festive.
In the basement, Mike, Lucas, Dustin, Will, and (Y/N) sit around the Dungeons & Dragons game board. "Something is coming. Something angry. Hungry for your blood," Mike says dramatically, "It is almost here," Dustin and Lucas shift uncomfortably.
Will leans forward and places his elbows on the table, "What is it?" He asks with anticipation.
"It's the thessalhydra, I'm telling you," Dustin states.
Lucas rejects that idea, "It's not the thessalhydra."
"I'm telling you, it's the thessalhydra," Dustin insists forcefully. Mike slams a game piece down.
"The thessalhydra!" Mike shouts. Everyone at the table groans.
"D*mn it," Dustin curses.
"It roars in anger!" Mike sharply turns to Will, "Will, your action!"
Will is conflicted with the same choice as last time, "What should I do? I—"
"Fireball him!" Lucas demands. Will looks to Dustin who rubs his chin thoughtfully.
"Fireball the son of a b*tch," Dustin says boldly. The group giggles at Dustin's choice of words.
Will turns over to (Y/N), her opinion being the one he values the most. She smiles confidently at him and nods, "Roll that fourteen," Will grins back at her, appreciating her faith in him. He cups the dice in his hands and shakes them before letting the dice roll onto the table. Everyone's eyes are glued to the rolling objects, waiting for them to stop and reveal their numbers.
The dice stop and it's quiet until Dustin calls out, "Fourteen!" The whole group cheers enthusiastically.
"Direct hit. Will the Wise's fireball hits the thessalhydra," Mike announces energetically, "It makes a painful..." Mike stands up and spreads his arms, imitating a monster's shriek, "and then..." he bends down, "it crumbles to the ground," Will, (Y/N), and Lucas stand up, wanting to see the last of Mike's demonstration. Mike reaches his hand out, he definitely has a flare for the dramatics, "It's clawed hand reaches for you one last time, and, and, and...and," Mike collapses, his arm flopping to the ground with him. The rest of the group throws their arms up and cheers. Will and Lucas hug quickly before Will turns to his left and pulls (Y/N) into a quick hug, leaving her a bit flustered. She shakes off her timidity and begins to dance around the table with Dustin and the other boys. Mike takes his seat to continue his tale.
"Lucas cuts off its seven heads," the children notice Mike beginning to speak again, so they all sit down, once again becoming engulfed in the story, "And Dustin places them into his bag of holding," Dustin holds up his backpack as a prop, "(Y/N) carries the heads out of the dungeon, you're victorious," Dustin hands the bag to (Y/N) and she giggles. Lucas holds his fists up and bares his teeth, appearing strong and powerful, "And you present them to King Tristan. He thanks you for your bravery and service," the listeners are surprised by Mike's closing of the campaign.
"Whoa. Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, that's not it, is it?" Dustin asks, unsatisfied.
Mike responds with, "No, there's a medal ceremony—" Dustin doesn't want to hear it.
"Oh, a medal ceremony? What are you talking about?" The boy states, annoyed. The group all shouts in protest. Mike tries to explain himself.
"And—" but is cut off by the unhappy participants.
"Yeah, man. The campaign was way too short," Lucas says, raising a cupped hand as if he is asking "why".
"Yeah!" Will and (Y/N) agree simultaneously.
"It was ten hours!" Mike shouts at the ungrateful group.
"But it doesn't make any sense," Dustin protests.
"It makes sense," Mike replies, irritated that his storytelling skills are being demeaned.
"Uh, no, what about the lost knight?" Dustin shoots back sassily.
"And the proud princess?" Lucas adds.
"And those weird flowers in the cave?" Will joins in with the criticism.
"And the suspicious summoners?" (Y/N) asks, recalling a small detail from the tale.
Mike isn't sure how to answer, he honestly forgot about those things himself, "I don't know, it's—" the basement door opens. Jonathan comes down the stairs.
"Jeez, what's that smell?" He asks the group as they turn to look at him, "Have you guys been playing games all day, or just farting?" He jokes, smiling at the children below him. This earns a few chuckles from the kids. Lucas decides to play along.
"No, that's just Dustin. He farted," Dustin's smile falls and he glares at the boy, who continues to mock him, "Dustin farted," Lucas blows a raspberry.
  "Okay," Dustin says, having had enough.
"Dustin farted," Lucas blows another raspberry.
"Very mature, Lucas," a monotonous Dustin responds. Lucas continues. "Oh," Dustin laughs, annoyed. The other children around the table laugh at the argumentative two.
"Will. (Y/N)," Jonathan calls. Dustin and Lucas' display continues. Will and (Y/N) turn, grinning, to Jonathan, "Come on," Will and (Y/N) get up and begin to collect their stuff.
"Bye, guys," Will says, picking up his backpack.
"Merry Christmas," (Y/N) cheerily states before high-fiving Dustin, who has stood up behind her.
"Bye, guys."
"See ya', guys."
"Merry Christmas." The boys all call to the two. Will accepts a high-five from Lucas on his way out and him and (Y/N) make their way up the stairs after Jonathan. Dustin begins to playfully hit Lucas. This turns into the boys full-on wrestling. As his friends goof off behind him, Mike stares ruefully at the empty fort in his basement, wishing a certain girl could have stayed and celebrated Christmas with him and his family.