Chapter Nine: An Electrical Presence

The whole world feels as though it ruptures. The dimension seems angry; frustrated. Both children are ripped forcefully from sleep. They have been tangled around one another. Arms and legs intertwined, hair ruffled and sticking to their faces, and bodies supporting one other's.
(Y/N) and Will shoot up from their positions, still a discombobulated mess, but alert. Everything is still. Silent. Why had it not felt like this a second ago? It is as if something had purposely awoken them. Something trying to help them. But nothing in this place can possibly be trying to help them.
(Y/N) peels her hair from her cheek, now noticing that goo had found it's way into the strands and onto her face. She looks back at Will and notices how close he really is to her. For a slight second heat rises and lands in her cheeks. However, the atmosphere is too cold for the warmth to linger. (Y/N)'s cheeks already appear to have a pinkish tint because of the biting cold which had seeped well into her bones. Her embarrassment only shows in her widened eyes. She tries to speak to Will, who has the same expression pasted across his discolored face, but her mind is suddenly knocked into a feeling of fright.
A roar sounds off in the distance. (Y/N) wants to stamp her foot down with pure annoyance. Why again? Because I'm tired. I don't want to run again. Please, oh, please let me be dreaming. Please, stop this. Please, save me. But, annoyance is soon replaced with adrenaline and a leap of the heart. Will chokes out a tearless sob, he's looking towards Castle Byers' entrance.
(Y/N) scrambles from her jumbled position and the frosty air rushes to fill the space between her and Will. A crisp breeze touches the parts which were once huddled against one another. The children both shiver and wish that they were snuggled against each other again. For the warmth, of course. But, they have to get onto their feet. The two must prepare to escape, once again, from the relentless monster.

♥︎

Joyce sits, unconscious, on an old floral patterned armchair, a new beige telephone rests in her lap. Mrs. (L/N) is at the kitchen table, supporting her head with her hand. She's on the verge of sleep. The silence had been both comforting and unbearable. They both want to hear the children, to find the children. But, what would happen if they did? What if the mothers couldn't save them even if they had gained confirmation that their two are out there.
Mrs. (L/N) definitely has her doubts, as the hours grow later, she starts to lose hope. There is a sinking feeling in her heart. The phone is never going to ring. For hours, Mrs. (L/N) had sat in thought. Could she ever be able to return home? What would happen to her if she did? Frankly, she is scared of her husband. Scared that he'd be popping open another bottle. Scared of what her act of defiance would bring him to do to reestablish his dominance.
Suddenly, the phone rings. Mrs. (L/N) jumps and straightens out. Her heart races, even if it is just a spam call. She still holds onto a speck of hope. The sound shakes Joyce from her slumber. She fumbles with the phone but quickly gets it up to her ear. Mrs. (L/N) leans forward and places her forearms onto her knees. Her leg is bouncing up and down, a nervous habit she'd acquired.
"Hello?" Joyce manages to blurt out in her nervous haze. There is no answer. She stands up and holds the phone more steadily. (Y/N)'s mother shoots up from her chair and steps over to be next to Joyce. Their heads are close together as Mrs. (L/N) tries to hear any conversation on the other end of the phone. There is only muffled breathing. "Who is this?" Joyce is stammering. Mrs. (L/N) listens intently, evaluating any sign that the children could be on the opposite end of the call. There is breathing; panting.
It's them. It's Will and (Y/N). Mrs. (L/N) would have dropped whatever she had in her hand if she were holding something. Joyce was right all along. The children really did contact her. Her daughter is there, on the phone.
"Will?"
"(Y/N)?"

♥︎

They had ran, fast, after they heard the first roar. Will had jolted off of the comforter and took ahold of (Y/N)'s hand. He knew that they had to move, it was now or never. They left Castle Byers, before they had wanted to, tearing themselves away from the comfort. The pounding of the monster's feet had started. It was running. Will and (Y/N) crashed through the woods and shot right into "Will's house". Will headed straight for the phone.