Chapter 8 - Drugged (Part 2)

________________________

They made it back to the tower in record time. Happy may or may not have broken a couple traffic laws but it wouldn't be the first time.

Peter was thankfully still asleep when they got there so Tony had carefully carried him out of the car and to the med bay.

Dr Helen Cho was already waiting for them when they came in, Happy having called her before they left the hotel. Cho and her team of medical staff changed Peter into a set of hospital clothes. Peter was laid out on a bed, a blanket tucked up to his waist, peacefully asleep. Tony clutched his hand tightly as Cho filled him and Happy in on her treatment plan.

"I've taken some blood and sent it down to labs to get it analyzed. We should know what drug he was given in an hour. I need him awake and aware before I do any actual treatment on his injuries so he's on an IV drip to help flush out the drugs. His head wound isn't healing how I would expect it to be so I'm thinking the drugs are messing with his healing factor. I expect it to kick in once he's sober. There's a high chance he's got a concussion but again I can't be sure until the drugs are gone. So right now we're just playing a waiting game."

Tony bite the inside of his cheek, "Can't you fix him up now? While he's still asleep."

Helen glared at him, "I'm sorry, you want me to do potentially invasive and personal medical treatment on an unconscious sexual assault victim?"

Tony winced.

"Yeah," Helen snapped, "that's what I thought."

"When should he wake up?" Happy changed the subject.

Dr Cho crossed her arms, "I'm not sure. I don't know how much drugs he was given. Could be an hour, could be four. I don't know. But my team and I are monitoring him closely."

Tony nodded and turned away. He didn't want to hear anymore. Helen took the hint and left Happy and Tony alone.

"Happy," Tony interrupted the silence, "Could you go get his sweater. It's my old MIT one. I think he left it on the couch in the common room."

"Yeah, yeah I can do that."

Happy turned on his heel and hurried out of the room and into the elevator. Once the doors closed Happy took a minute to collect himself. So much had happened in the last hour. He'd been so focused on helping Peter and getting him out that Happy hadn't really taken a moment to breathe.

The ding of the elevator shook Happy out of his thoughts. He stepped out of the elevator, intending to grab the sweater and leave but he wasn't expecting coming face to face with the Avengers.

"Hey Happy," Natasha greeted from where she was sitting on the couch. Steve, Clint and Bucky were also in the room. Clint was sitting on the floor fiddling with a Rubik's cube while Steve, Bucky and Natasha sat on the couch watching a movie.

"How was the party?" Steve said, pausing the TV.

Happy stood still. He was still in a bit of shock. It took everything in him to explain what happened to both Tony and the cops. He didn't want to think about it anymore. He didn't want to say it.

The four avengers grew worried looks as Happy stayed silent. He opened his mouth, tried to say something, anything. But all that came out was a strangled gasp. He was falling apart. His hand shook as he brought it up to wipe the tears out of his eyes.

Natasha was on her feet in an instant, crossing the room in record time. She approached Happy cautiously, taking his arm and leading him over to the couch.