Not even an hour later, we have the foundations of a plan. We quickly run it by Rose since she has more knowledge of those Star Destroyers than the three of us combined.

"As long as those Star Destroyers are on Exegol we can hit 'em," Finn starts to explain. 

"Hit 'em how?" Beaumont asks.

"They can't activate their shields until they leave atmosphere," Rose says.

"Which isn't easy on Exegol. Ships that size need help taking off. Nav can't tell which way's up out there," Poe says, leaning his palms on the table in front of him.

"So how do the ships take off?" Connix questions.

"They use a signal from a navigation tower, like this one," he answers, pressing a button on the computer to make a hologram appear. 

"Except they won't," I speak up. "Air team's gonna find the tower, ground team's gonna blast it." 

"Ground team?" one of the workers asks and I turn to Finn, recalling that part of the plan was his idea. 

"I have an idea for that," he replies.

"Once the tower's down, the fleet will be stuck in atmo for just minutes, with no shields, and no way out," Poe says. 

"We think hitting the cannons might ignite the main reactors," Rose adds.

"And that's our chance," I say.

"We need to pull some Holdo maneuvers. Do some real damage," Beaumont comments, crossing his arms.

"Come on. That move is one in a million," Finn says. 

"Fighters and freighters can take out their cannons if there are enough of us," I say.

"But there aren't enough of us," Connix protests. "We'd be no more than bugs to them." 

"That's where Lando and Chewie come in," I tell her, motioning to the pair sitting to my right. "They'll take the Falcon to the Core Systems. Send out a call for help for anybody listening." 

"We've got friends out there. They'll come if they know there's hope," Poe adds. People start murmuring and whispering to one another. "They will. The First Order wins by making us think we're alone. We're not alone. Good people will fight if we lead them." 

"My mother never gave up. And neither will we," I say, fighting back the lump I feel rising in the back of my throat. "We're gonna show them we're not afraid. What our parents fought for, we will not let die! Not today." I can feel Poe's eyes on me as I speak. 

"Today, we make our last stand," he takes over. "For the galaxy. For Leia. For everyone we've lost." 

"They've taken enough of us," Finn says. "Now we take the war to them." 

The next hour is filled with fueling up fighters, loading up transports and freighters, preparing squadrons and dividing forces. I'm waiting for Poe near his X-Wing and connect myself with the Force, knowing I'll need it more than ever. I call to anyone listening to stand by us, to help us.

When Poe reaches me, he sweeps me up in a secure hug. Neither of us speaks, and I tightly hold on, not caring in the slightest if anyone sees. "Whatever happens today, I'm so grateful you're in my life, Poe," I whisper after minutes. We both know we can't promise each other it'll be okay, that we'll make it through, because we don't know that. The thought of possibly losing him makes my eyes water and I bury my face in his shoulder. He hugs me even closer. 

"We should get going," he says quietly. After lingering in the hug for just a few seconds longer, I pull back. I take his face in my hands and pull him down, pressing my lips to his. Our kiss isn't long, as we don't have the time. I inhale deeply, drawing back. "I love you," he says. 

"I love you," I reply. He holds out a hand and helps me into the back of his X-Wing before taking the front seat himself. Shortly after discussing our plan, we concluded I don't possess enough flying skills to be able to fly myself to Exegol in one piece, let alone fight who-knows-how-many Star Destroyeres, so I'm joining as Poe's gunner. 

I settle down behind the controls and Poe quickly explains the different toggles, buttons, and switches. This is a lot easier than flying, so I think I'll manage. 

"Okay. Ready?" Poe asks, turning on the engine of his X-Wing. 

"As ready as I'll ever be," I say, breathing out deeply. My insides feel as if they've been turned upside down, but as the X-Wing takes off, the nerves calm down and my mind focusses on the task at hand. 

Finding Exegol and stopping the Emperor. Whatever it takes.