“Happy New Year’s!” A few more voices echoed, female ones this time that Melina knew had to be his sisters as they giggled immediately afterwards. 

Melina smiled softly as she pressed the phone against her ear.  “Happy New Year’s everyone.” 

There were more giggles from his sisters before Louis took his phone and took it off speaker.

Grinning, he held the phone against his ear.  “I wish you were here.”

Melina blinked, her lips parting to respond but she couldn’t say anything in response to his words, afraid of what she would say, after the whole treadmill incident with Eva… 

“Melina?” Louis asked, his voice wavering at Melina’s hesitation that was seriously worrying him. She hadn’t even responded when he’d teased about kissing her and as soon as he saw her again, she’d have a lot of catching up to do and he didn’t even care if she was still mad at him at that time. 

“I forgive you Louis,” Melina said at last.

This time Louis blinked before an earsplitting grin graced his features.  “I didn’t let any zealous fans kiss me.” He teased, recalling his birthday card.  “Though some did try.” He grinned wickedly. 

Melina had to roll her eyes this time.

“The same goes for you Melina,” Louis said dead serious this time.  “No New Year’s kiss, unless it’s my picture or poster, actually if you do any of the above, take a picture for me!”

Melina sighed while laughing, her most common response it seemed to Louis Tomlinson.  Closing her eyes as she whispered Happy New Year’s once more before hanging up. 

Louis grinned as he pocketed his phone.  Even though Melina wasn’t there, hearing her voice was enough for now.  Maybe with time they could make better plans because this was the last holiday he planned to spend with just his family.  Next one, Melina Hanas would have to be there.  She was a big part of his world now, whether she liked it or not. 

~~~

As she stared out of the window, Melina could see her reflection.  Her expression certainly didn’t mirror her friends who were in the spirit of New Years.  She just looked rather lost and a little bit confused because since the four letter word had been uttered, she was beyond confused.  How was that possible? How could she be in love with Louis Tomlinson? She barely knew the guy long enough and for a great portion of the time, she was honestly unsure of his sanity.  It had taken her nearly a year to feel all that much for Rob and that had ended in complete disaster.  What if with Louis, what if it was worse? Who was she kidding, it would be so much worse than Rob.

 Not to mention that this time her family was involved.  Her mother had never cared much for Rob, she’d just been happy that Melina was into guys period and that maybe one day Melina would find the one and settle down to give her the grandchildren she’d been yearning for since Melina left the house to move to the city and attend college. 

If her relationship with Louis got any deeper than it already was, if her family got even more attached to Louis only for it to go up in flames….

“Louis,” She whispered before closing her eyes.  “I can’t…” she whispered once more before putting on her poker face to enjoy the rest of the night with her classmates.  She would deal with that later.

~~~

However instead of facing it, Melina merely avoided the issue at all costs, thus avoiding Louis in turn.  His calls, his messages, whatever else she could. 

She often, almost twice a day in fact, would take out her phone and go to Louis’ contact, set with a picture of his handsome grinning face.  Staring at the picture, she would debate with herself and her emotions.  But as her finger floated right above the call button, her wits would deflate and she would exit out immediately.