Chapter Four, Part One

David grinned. “Good for you.” He went through the opening in the chain link fence. Parker motioned me forward and then followed behind me. We went up the drive which led around back where most parking was found. Not many back or front yards in the City.

I followed him up the stairs and he paused at the top. He turned and looked at me.

“I’m warning you now that Emerson doesn’t like…” He waved a hand at me.

“What’s that supposed to mean?” I said putting my hands on my hips.

David rolled his eyes and just disappeared through the open doorway.

“Watch your step,” Parker whispered. “The floors and stairs are rotted through in places. Wouldn’t want to see if you’re up to date on your shots.”

We made our way up to the third floor slowly and when we got to the landing, a loud booming voice yelled at us.

“Is that girl I smell?” The sound of heavy footfalls followed. “Is that Girl Slayer I smell?”

I rolled my eyes, not wanting to say my smart remark that was on the tip of my tongue. Instead it echoed around in my head, falling on deaf ears.

“Well! Speak girl!”

I looked at David and raised my eyebrows, asking for permission. He nodded.

“Are you trying to tell me I stink? I did take a shower before I came here.”

A loud rumble came from the room, laughter I think. “You smell like blood, death, and pussy, girl.”

I made a disgusted face and sent a sharp look to David.

“He may have a vulgar problem,” he whispered. “I tried to tell you.”

“Well, bring her in, Dave. You know how much I like to look at a piece of ass.”

“Oh god,” I said. “I’m not going in there.”

“Get in here or I’ll bring the place down!”

David winced. “Nice, rookie.”

He moved down the hall like a SWAT team member. He pushed the door open and stepped in, with me following and Parker behind me.

“Well, what do you have for me?” the booming voice said from straight ahead. “By the sound of her voice I would say she’s a looker.”

I waited for David to move from in front of me. I was small enough to hide behind him and I wasn’t the type to step out of line without being told to. At least not in these types of situations.

“Do you promise to be nice?” David asked. “She’s not used to the likes of you.”

There was a throaty chuckle and I tried hard not to gag. “Come now, Dave. Even I can smell that the girl has been plucked. She has to be used to something.”

“Hey,” I said, stepping out of line yet again. Yes, I winced on the inside. “That’s just…gross.”

What I saw in front of me was the worst thing I’d ever seen. A huge man, who was crammed into the smallest recliner ever, looked at me with small, beady dark eyes. It looked like he hadn’t showered in a couple of weeks and there were takeout and delivery containers littered all over the floor around him.

“Ah. Definitely a better view than you, David. Where did you dig this bitch up?”

I resisted everything I had not to snap back. I’ve been dealing with his type since the boys at the school hit puberty.

“She’s a recruit. The Captain sent her out with us. Probably thought she could talk some sense into you.”

“She could talk a few things into me if she wanted. What’s your name, Slayer Girl?”

I looked at David. “Do I have to tell him?”

David shrugged. “Up to you, princess.”

“Princess? Ha! I like it!”

I glared at David before looking at the grotesque man in front of me.

“Georgiana,” I corrected. “My name is Georgiana…”

His eyes narrowed automatically and his nostrils flared. Then he looked at David and quick as a pitcher throwing a strike out, he threw a knife. I caught it by the handle before the blade could cut into David’s face.

“Now that’s not nice,” I said, something inside of me just clicking while the rest fell away.

David took a tentative step back. “Thanks, princess.”

“The girl has reflexes,” the Grizzly’s voice was cold now, none of the teasing left over from before. “But I don’t like abominations in my house. Get out, girl. If that’s even what you are.”

I raised an eyebrow. “Awe and I thought we were getting along so well.”

“Get out. I can’t believe you brought a bloody Hybrid into my house!”

“No need for name calling,” I said calmly. “Let us do what we came for and we’ll be gone.”

“I don’t need no blood whore telling me what to do.”

Just as quick as his throw, I was pressing a knife to his throat, hard enough that if I wanted to, I could draw blood.

“I don’t appreciate being called that. Did I call you fat? Or an overeater? No. So let’s keep this civil, shall we?”

“Get her away from me! Now!”

“Why Emerson, I don’t believe we’ve ever seen you this flustered before,” David said. “Why so anxious?”

“I will not deal with the likes of her.” He spat on my face.

I reached up and wiped the luggie away, trying not to let the disgust show on my face. “You better not have any communicable diseases or I will skin you alive.”

He glared at me. “What do you want?”

“You were supposed to vacate, Emerson,” Parker said. “We’ve served you twice now. Didn’t think we’d have to a third time.”

“Well then you thought wrong, pig man.”

I pressed the blade harder and nicked him. He howled and moved to push me away. David came forward and held his hands down on the arm rests.

“That’s not how you treat a lady.”

“Lady? Her? Try…” He gulped as he caught sight of my glare. “Sorry.”

“You need to leave,” I said. “This place is no longer livable.”

“Where am I supposed to go? This is my home.”

“Find another one. I did.” I backed up and David let go.

“Don’t make us come back here,” David said. “Because we’ll bring her back and I’ll let her slit you open to save us the hassle of sedating you and dragging you out.”

emerson glared at me. “You shouldn’t even be alive.”

“Tell me something I don’t know.”